Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cheyletillia aka Walking Dandruff

Any experience w/ Cheyletillia? How did you treat, frequency, etc? I only heard of this recently. Have had a couple dogs scratching, w/ hot spots and hair loss patches. Everyone is blowing coat like crazy so didn't think much of scratching until the nasty hot spots started. Looking for info on how you treated for it, what product, duration, and recurrance experience. Thanks!!

Re: Cheyletillia aka Walking Dandruff

Did your vet make the diagnosis? What did they say?

Years ago I got a 9 week old puppy from a breeder that was shipped to me. He had "walking dandruff" but you could see the actual mite and yes it looked like dandruff. I gave subcutaneous Ivermectin injections and that got rid of the mites. The puppy was not especially itchy nor did he have bald patches or hot spots.

A few years latter, all my dogs started scratching, itching, hot spots. It was horrible. My vet was perplexed but asked if we had taken our dogs to a specific area in town as there had been a scabies out break. Skin scrapings were negative but we treated with Ivermectin again and that took care of the problem. The scabies even got on us and they are very itchy. They are pretty species specific though and don't live on humans very long nor do they reproduce but they pack a powerful itch nonetheless!

Please contact your vet if you haven't already and seek off label injections of Ivermectin or another treatment that kills mites.

Not long ago I questioned my vet if human scabies could effect dogs.

He said no. I also did research (because my dogs do therapy work at nursing homes) and found the same answer.

I would be interested to hear more on this subject from people with experience that it has crossed from dogs to humans.

My research showed that the mite involved is not the same for dogs and humans.

I do a lot of therapy work with my dogs so this info would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mites
Years ago I got a 9 week old puppy from a breeder that was shipped to me. He had "walking dandruff" but you could see the actual mite and yes it looked like dandruff. I gave subcutaneous Ivermectin injections and that got rid of the mites. The puppy was not especially itchy nor did he have bald patches or hot spots.

A few years latter, all my dogs started scratching, itching, hot spots. It was horrible. My vet was perplexed but asked if we had taken our dogs to a specific area in town as there had been a scabies out break. Skin scrapings were negative but we treated with Ivermectin again and that took care of the problem. The scabies even got on us and they are very itchy. They are pretty species specific though and don't live on humans very long nor do they reproduce but they pack a powerful itch nonetheless!

Please contact your vet if you haven't already and seek off label injections of Ivermectin or another treatment that kills mites.

Vet had said Frontline should work. Dogs are still itching and Frontline labeling says not to dose earlier than 30days. Then said try Revolution if Frontline doesn't work. Ivermectin is more cost effective.

I give Ivermectin for monthly heartworm prevention orally. What was the dosage you gave subcutaneously each week? Was it the same as what you gave for heartworm or was it higher?

Years ago I gave Ivermectin orally to a dog for suspected sarcoptic mange (turned out to be horrid allergies instead), but I don't remember what the dose was that I gave the dog. I do know it was much higher than for heartworm prevention.

thanks

I would opt for Revolution, Ivermectin sub-q STINGS. 2 doses of Revolution should take care of it if it's mites.