Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing Premolars in Puppy

Got this email from a puppy buyer today.....I have never heard of this being a health issue and in 10+ years I have never had a vet comment on it. I know not having full dentition is frowned upon when showing but NEVER heard of it being a health issue. Any insight. I told them I would be more than happy to speak to their vet so she can inform me of the potential "problem" if his adult premolars don't come in...

Dr. (name withheld) said (puppy's name withheld) was missing four teeth, two premolars on either side on the top. She said that it shouldn't be a problem unless his adult premolars did not come in. Had you seen this in any of his litter mates or previous litters?

Re: Missing Premolars in Puppy

Laura Altizer
Got this email from a puppy buyer today.....I have never heard of this being a health issue and in 10+ years I have never had a vet comment on it. I know not having full dentition is frowned upon when showing but NEVER heard of it being a health issue. Any insight. I told them I would be more than happy to speak to their vet so she can inform me of the potential "problem" if his adult premolars don't come in...

Dr. (name withheld) said (puppy's name withheld) was missing four teeth, two premolars on either side on the top. She said that it shouldn't be a problem unless his adult premolars did not come in. Had you seen this in any of his litter mates or previous litters?
It's them, not you! I feel for you.

I think some of the puppy buyers and their vets are insane today. They assume because a PET PUPPY is out of a breeding of 1 or 2 Champions for example, everything should be perfect when the breeder doesn't get perfection although hopes for it someday.

My last litter I had 3 of 7 problem children buyers to different degrees. Next litter, I am disclosing if the puppy shits 1 extra time a day so they can't come back to me with nonsensical claims. I am drawing up a contract that will make their eyes spin too. I normally work on mostly handshakes and a 2 page receipt with basic instructions besides other print outs for the buyers who don't listen anyway. Now, they'll get to sign their lives away as the handshake doesn't work anymore. I'm changing my ways and covering my butt better hen I ever did before, not at all. It's sad. I'm a hobbyist, not a business and shouldn't have to but the buyers are getting nuts. It sounds like that vet isn't rowing with both oars in the water either.

It sounds like the puppy buyer and the vet are crazy. If I were you, I would offer (or demand) to give the buyer back their money and place the puppy in a more deserving home. There are plenty out there who can't find a well-bred, Labrador puppy from a reputable breeder right now. I could have sold well over 100 puppies since my non keepers went home if I had them. As I breed 1 litter a year it says enough. Requests went crazy right after Westminster coincidentally or not.

Yes, I sent all of them to other breeders I trust and helped educate dozens of buyers. Some were appreciative, some I never heard back from but heard they got a puppy from 1 of the breeders I sent them to. Not even a quick email with a thanks lady.

Thank you for responding and that is where I am at (I am ready to say bring him back)

after I responded to them saying I will call the vet in the AM the puppy buyer said the vet

"She just said that if the adult ones did not come in then an X-Ray was probably needed to verify that they weren't impacted or mis-developed. "

Seems to me she is setting them up for $$$$

I know of one person who lost their black labrador pet bitch in Europe to a maxillary osteosarcoma that the oncologist and veterinary dentist believe was related to a retained tooth that never erupted. It was found on x-ray, biopsy and histopathology. So there could be some truth to this.

Never say never
I know of one person who lost their black labrador pet bitch in Europe to a maxillary osteosarcoma that the oncologist and veterinary dentist believe was related to a retained tooth that never erupted. It was found on x-ray, biopsy and histopathology. So there could be some truth to this.

There are multitudes of dogs missing teeth, and they are not rotting away from cancers. This was likely an unfortunate coincidence, and not a cause and effect.

To the OP, I feel for you. So tired of hearing about pet people and their vets who seem to think that puppies are assembled by hand from parts, and should be flawless.

Do not jump through hoops on this one, just respond by saying that missing teeth especially premolars is not terribly unusual in the Labrador Retriever breed but if you are concerned we would prefer you bring our baby back for a refund.

The only issue I could see with the vet mentioning about "if the puppy is missing molars also" is the difficulty it could have with eating kibble food due to the lack of teeth. How old is the puppy? The puppy should have all of his teeth by 7 months old. If the puppy is 7 months or older then whatever teeth he/she has are already in and there would not be any question or anymore missing.

Yes, pet people are over the top with the smallest of issues. The vets make things worse mostly because they are not dealing with just one breed and have multiple clients and the issues have become all general. If it becomes an issue with these owners, tell them you want a second opinion and they need to take the puppy to your vet to confirm or not any issues with missing teeth.

Puppy is 8 1/2 weeks old and was just saw by my vet 6 days ago..My vet didn't even mention it.

I know selling to brokers is frowned on but constantly having to deal with crazy people makes me wonder...

What? 8 1/2 weeks? Puppies do not have the same amount of pre molars as an adult dog with full dentition. Seriously tell those people to get a new vet. The puppy most likely has all the teeth he should have at 8 weeks. I would tell them to wait until the puppy gets all of their adult teeth and then have him re checked.

They live pretty close to me..so I am going to go check it out or have them send pics..I highly doubt this puppy is missing 4 TEETH!

Nuh Uh

There are multitudes of dogs missing teeth, and they are not rotting away from cancers. This was likely an unfortunate coincidence, and not a cause and effect.

Missing teeth and retained teeth which have not erupted are two completely different things with MUCH different sequelae.

To the OP, obviously you can't tell at this age whether or not the puppy will have missing premolars in its adult dentition. It sounds like a watch, wait-and-see approach is best.

i guess that i don't understand why this is so offensive to you. my golden puppy is missing a premolar and my breeder is the one who called me to check it out and asked if my puppy was missing teeth. she wanted to take inventory as she kept 2 litter mates for show that were missing teeth. I guess that is the difference between breeders who really care about the puppies they are breeding - all of the pupples- show and pet. not sure why this has made you so angry- the owner was just asking a question.....geez