Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bites, breeding 'around' it

Would you ever consider running on a puppy with a bad bite, in hopes of breeding around it if the puppy turned out otherwise? Or even better, hoping it corrected? Eight week old with slight overbite-worth waiting to see?? Yes, I know it is a disqualifying fault, so couldn't be shown, probably a no, but wanted others opinions.

Re: Bites, breeding 'around' it

Bad Bite
Would you ever consider running on a puppy with a bad bite, in hopes of breeding around it if the puppy turned out otherwise? Or even better, hoping it corrected? Eight week old with slight overbite-worth waiting to see?? Yes, I know it is a disqualifying fault, so couldn't be shown, probably a no, but wanted others opinions.

How slight is the overbite? Doesn't hurt to run him/her on for a few months to see if it will correct itself

I had 1 puppy correct his underbite at 6 months and 2 puppies get underbites at 6 and 7 months. The truth is that you can't never know what is going to happen. If the puppy is worth it, run on it. If the bite doesn't correct by 12 months, place it. You'll never be in peace with its puppies as they will have a greater chance to have the same problem.

The overbite is about 1/4" - 3/8". Should this be considered significant and of a size less likely to correct? The puppy is otherwise very nice. Thanks for the input

I have never had a puppy bite that ended up different than what was seen at 8 wks. (surprised others have) I would pass.

8 wks.
I have never had a puppy bite that ended up different than what was seen at 8 wks. (surprised others have) I would pass.

I have had perfect correct bites at 8 weeks only to have them go off when all the adult teeth have come in. I have an adult who had a level bite, ( was made up with that bite as well) now at the age of 4 his bite is back to a scissor bite, I have had correct bite apart from one misplaced tooth so no go for showing, I am inclined to think people who state they have never produced a bad bite have not check all their puppies as adults which is difficult to do when puppies go all over the country and most pet buyers would not know they dogs bite was incorrect.