Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Coat supplements after whelp

Try adding biotin supplement to the diet. works great for coat but not sure if it will counteract hormonal coat loss.

I have not used it in years but if I remember I gave 1000mcg daily.

I would not give it at breeding, during pregnancy or nursing unless you consult your vet.

Try it after pups are weaned.

I use Mirra-Coat powder. You can get a five-pound bag and dose according to the label for dogs. It is for horses and other animals, but works great to push the dead coat out and help bring in the new.

MWK

My repro vet told me the coat blowing is mostly hormone related. Not much you can do to stop it or get it over with sooner. And naturally some girls are worse than others

I never worry too much about the shed after weaning puppies, since it's part of the natural physical process, but I do always look forward to that gorgeous coat after that puppy shed. It's always so much better than any other time. :)

Glass half full
I never worry too much about the shed after weaning puppies, since it's part of the natural physical process, but I do always look forward to that gorgeous coat after that puppy shed. It's always so much better than any other time. :)

I love the way my girls coats come in after that huge coat blow after whelping. It's like starting all over again. Lush and beautiful double coat. I don't worry, I know what is coming in soon enough, not in time for Potomac with 1 girl but I knew that.

Rule of thumb, the girls look their worst when the families come to pick up their puppies at 8 to 9 weeks.

The weather isn't helping that hormonal blow. This is a first year I have wads of coat stuck all over my rear decking in all different colors. Serious professional power washing needed come real Spring to get rid of it. It is nasty looking and a broom does very little. Even around a heavy umbrella stand it makes a full ring 4 inches wide all the way around it, 3 inches deep. It's part of having Labradors and bad weather after whelping. Look what will come in within a couple of months.

MWK
I use Mirra-Coat powder. You can get a five-pound bag and dose according to the label for dogs. It is for horses and other animals, but works great to push the dead coat out and help bring in the new.

MWK
I've tried it 3 times for 6 months ea. time years ago without any success. A good multi vitamin, Vit C, fish oil and plain good food plus normal exercise will bring in coat just as fast.

There is no miracle cure. Wait and you'll see it when it's due in.