Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Price

When someone calls & inquires about your puppies and the first thing out of their mouth is "How much" - Well, I was always told that if you have to ask, then you can't afford it.
Is there a polite way to answer these people, rather than give them the price?.

Re: Price

I just advised a man who emailed about puppies that I don't have left, that it's poor manners to ask price 1st. These are not cars being sold. I also told him he'll get very few replies by asking that question 1st and sending the email to 'undisclosed recipients'. I explained price should not be the most important question he had.

Maybe you can say something similar? I also don't discuss price until I have done a basic screening of the person calling or emailing. I've learned to trust no one but myself. Some of the emails do come from others I will not call true breeders. If they want to know the approximate going rate in the area, ask the question as themselves, not as a puppy buyer.

Not everyone has unlimted funds to buy a dog, it doesn't mean they won't take as good care as the person that is afraid to ask the cost but maybe consider that they feel there if no further discussing getting a dog from you if it's not something they can afford..... always two sides to looking at it

I agree with all of this.
I am also equally appalled by breeders who bring it up first thing. I ran in to that last year when I was looking for a pup, and some of these were well known breeders.

It is possible that the person has spoken to other breeders and has learned their price is more than he/she is able to afford. If so, rather than have a long conversation, the issue of price can be resolved asking the price question up front.

Remember being a breeder is not just a hobby, but a business. Good business people do not lose sales by not understanding price drives the sale.

If you are a good business person you are up front on your puppy page as to the cost of one of your pups. To think that price does not matter is silly. You are most likely the first to seek deals in the market place yourself.

Set the price on your web page and you will not have that as the first question out of buyers mouths. I suspect you may not do so because perhaps you do not report all of the income made from a litter.

If a person does ask why get all huffy, just tell them the price and move on with the discussion. You set the price, deal with it.

If I get that question up front, I say, "You should expect to pay between $x,xxx to $x,xxx for a well-bred Labrador Retriever." (We don't discuss the price of my puppies until I have decided whether, or not, they're getting one.)

Good Business
Remember being a breeder is not just a hobby, but a business. Good business people do not lose sales by not understanding price drives the sale.

If you are a good business person you are up front on your puppy page as to the cost of one of your pups. To think that price does not matter is silly. You are most likely the first to seek deals in the market place yourself.

Set the price on your web page and you will not have that as the first question out of buyers mouths. I suspect you may not do so because perhaps you do not report all of the income made from a litter.

If a person does ask why get all huffy, just tell them the price and move on with the discussion. You set the price, deal with it.

I don't agree about this hobby being a business. For some it is, not for me and many I know.

A cold day in hell I would post my price for a puppy on my website. I occasionally give a good-hearted break to a person that deserves it so why scare them away?

If you made your hobby into a business that's your choice but it's not mine or some others. That's your opinion, all it is. We're dealing with live animals not selling jewelry or other items. It's different. Some buyers have no class. I keep getting the same mass mailed request for a male puppy from the same person with 1 question. How much are they? I don't reply. I've had 10x the amount of buyers than I need or want to work with. This is a hobby, not a business to me. You do it your way, I'll do it my way.

Have a nice day.

I agree with Price Range, I generally do about the same thing... While I don't give a price until I know who I'm dealing with I will say that my price is within the range of the going rate in this area "for a breeding of this quality ".

I find that most of my callers have been thru the breeder directory on our breed club website and already know what the range is.

Price Range
If I get that question up front, I say, "You should expect to pay between $x,xxx to $x,xxx for a well-bred Labrador Retriever." (We don't discuss the price of my puppies until I have decided whether, or not, they're getting one.)

Exactly the same wording from me! They are our puppies until we allow them to leave us and it's done on our terms.

rld
I agree with Price Range, I generally do about the same thing... While I don't give a price until I know who I'm dealing with I will say that my price is within the range of the going rate in this area "for a breeding of this quality ".

I find that most of my callers have been thru the breeder directory on our breed club website and already know what the range is.

Not a business
Good Business

I don't agree about this hobby being a business. For some it is, not for me and many I know.

A cold day in hell I would post my price for a puppy on my website. I occasionally give a good-hearted break to a person that deserves it so why scare them away?

If you made your hobby into a business that's your choice but it's not mine or some others. That's your opinion, all it is. We're dealing with live animals not selling jewelry or other items. It's different. Some buyers have no class. I keep getting the same mass mailed request for a male puppy from the same person with 1 question. How much are they? I don't reply. I've had 10x the amount of buyers than I need or want to work with. This is a hobby, not a business to me. You do it your way, I'll do it my way.

Have a nice day.

I agree with the second persons reply 100%, if you making a profit on the sales of your puppy you are most likely a puppy mill. Figure all the time spent taking care of the litter, all expenses and hell i'm so in the hole it's not funny, then try raising a litter of 8 that the mom can't raise, I have had no sleep for over 2 weeks, this is not a 9-5 job it's 24/7 and it is given my whole heart not about damm money grrrrr

I am sorry for your puppies that they are sold as a business. Sorry this is how you have to make money. Most for show breed a litter or two a year. It is a love, a hobby. In not saying my price up front, I say anyone I would refer you to sell the pups from $1,200 and up, give them a price range. That answers that. What I hate is the short phone message. Do you have any pups ?

What?!? Seriously??? That is soooo sad that you consider breeding puppies a business. You are exactly the type of person I steer people away from. A reputable breeder limits their program to 1, maybe 2 litters a year, most of the time they breed only when they want a puppy for themselves to run on. The fact that you consider it a business makes me shudder and shake my head. But mostly, it makes me sad for your dogs. That they are used as collateral to make a buck and not enjoying life with a family on a daily basis is a pathetic way to treat a dog. :(

Good Business

I joke when people call it a business and tell them if it were, it'd surely be considered a poorly run one since normally the intent of a "business" is to MAKE money, not spend it! lol.

Sounds like many can't separate feelings from reality. If you really think price can't be brought up by puppy owners because no where on your web site you mention it you are very wrong.

Puppy buyers are not mind readers. You could be asking $5,000.00 or more. That may be out of their price range. You get insulted because someone asks your price of a puppy. How insulting is that to a potential customer. It turns you off to potential buyers. That is pretty snobby behavior on your part.

You have a commodity you love. I understand your wanting good homes for your lovely pups, but you make it hard on people. With those attitudes. it is no wonder puppy buyers wind up in the Pet Shop or buying from a puppy broker in the newspaper adds.

To all puppy buyers..... make sure you never ask how much this transaction is going to cost. If you bring up cost you will be insulting the breeder. After all, their poop does not stink. They are better then you, they think $$$$ grows on trees for families and what ever they ask, you should pay it.

Well, I guess my family is really lucky that we managed to get a beautiful pup from a lovely breeder. I asked about price with almost every breeder I spoke with- we are on a very tight budget but a wonderful companion is something we felt worth the expense. How can we save money and calculate expenses if we don't know what a puppy will cost? The very first breeder I called ended up being a BYB, which I only found out after extensive digging. The next two I talked to were also not top notch. Fortunately I found others that bred wonderful dogs and all were very lovely on the phone. We chatted and at the end of the call I did ask how much we could expect to spend. We ended up spending more than our monthly mortgage payment and couldn't be happier. It was most definitely worth it. But we did have to plan- we had to save for the initial cost and adjust our budget for the expected monthly expenses. I am so glad that I talked to breeders who don't look down on those of us that need to plan financially and cannot blindly cut a check.

It's nice to see that many are not horrified by prospective buyers asking for a price. It is hard enough to locate reputable breeder period, why further hide yourselves from people? The BYBs are So Easy to find and can talk a good talk on the phone- I am So, SO glad I kept looking.

All the exclusivity is only serving to hide the well bred Labs from the public, it certainly doesn't help educate buyers what to look for in a dog. Just pushes them back to the BYBs, you know?

Not a Breeder
Well, I guess my family is really lucky that we managed to get a beautiful pup from a lovely breeder. I asked about price with almost every breeder I spoke with- we are on a very tight budget but a wonderful companion is something we felt worth the expense. How can we save money and calculate expenses if we don't know what a puppy will cost? The very first breeder I called ended up being a BYB, which I only found out after extensive digging. The next two I talked to were also not top notch. Fortunately I found others that bred wonderful dogs and all were very lovely on the phone. We chatted and at the end of the call I did ask how much we could expect to spend. We ended up spending more than our monthly mortgage payment and couldn't be happier. It was most definitely worth it. But we did have to plan- we had to save for the initial cost and adjust our budget for the expected monthly expenses. I am so glad that I talked to breeders who don't look down on those of us that need to plan financially and cannot blindly cut a check.

It's nice to see that many are not horrified by prospective buyers asking for a price. It is hard enough to locate reputable breeder period, why further hide yourselves from people? The BYBs are So Easy to find and can talk a good talk on the phone- I am So, SO glad I kept looking.

All the exclusivity is only serving to hide the well bred Labs from the public, it certainly doesn't help educate buyers what to look for in a dog. Just pushes them back to the BYBs, you know?

You asked about price toward the end of the conversation. That's not the same as someone calling and starting first thing with "how much are your pups?"

Yes, that's true. And I did learn so much in each phone call. Maybe its a manners thing too? Bad phone skills doesn't necessarily = cruddy puppy owner. But reading some of the responses... I just can't imagine why people would expect buyers to not ask. Isn't that irresponsible of a buyer too?

There is so much Breeder Hate out there amongst the majority of the public, it's really bad (I'm sure most of you don't need me to tell you) and ALL are lumped together that I'd hate to see it get worse for the reputable ones just because many aren't willing to talk to prospectives.

lurker
Not a Breeder

You asked about price toward the end of the conversation. That's not the same as someone calling and starting first thing with "how much are your pups?"

Of course price will be asked. When you get a phone call or email and the 1st and only question is HOW MUCH DO YA GET is poor manners. It shows cost is the main concern.

It's not the question, it's when, what questions are asked and how. When and what else is asked just to set the record straight. If price is the only concern, it's not someone I or breeder friends want to work with.

Some inquiring minds dig their own graves with breeders and do it repeatedly once we compare stories. The concern is, will this person be able to afford vet care, good food, proper toys and those little extras that make a dog's life more fun and healthy.

lurker
Not a Breeder

Dear Lurker, why does it matter when they ask the price? Beginning, middle or end of convo? People need to know if they have enough to buy a dog from you, beats me why a lot of folks on this board are afraid of being asked the price they sell their pups for

Long time breeder
lurker

Dear Lurker, why does it matter when they ask the price? Beginning, middle or end of convo? People need to know if they have enough to buy a dog from you, beats me why a lot of folks on this board are afraid of being asked the price they sell their pups for

Dear Long Time Breeder, because most people ask questions in what they consider order of importance. Ideally, a pup buyer places greater importance on the health and temperament of the pup's parents over saving a few bucks.

Yes, exactly. One thing I ask folks on my website is to tell me a little about themselves, their families, lifestyle, and what they want/expect in a pup. I'm surprised that with that already on the table, anyone w/ manners would still turn the conversation to price immediately. If price is part of the equation, then they can still state it as part of what they expect. Respect goes both ways, because I'm also offering to help find them the appropriate litter if my breeding doesn't fit their needs. I did this just about a week ago, and the guy was blown away that I helped find him a well bred pup that was priced ~$300 less than my own. Said he felt like he was "taking money out of my pocket". Nope, just doing what I said I would do. We're not all bad people.

lurker
Long time breeder
lurker

Dear Long Time Breeder, because most people ask questions in what they consider order of importance. Ideally, a pup buyer places greater importance on the health and temperament of the pup's parents over saving a few bucks.

I tend to agree with you Lurker. I will give a break to a family with 3 out of 4 current college educations because I want to, not because they ask for it. When they start the bargaining process at the beginning of the conversation I have little else to say. If they mention at some point that it's a bit pricey due to their educational costs for the next 4 years I digest it and make my own decision. Or if a couple is recently married and paid for their wedding on their own, chuckling about it later but I know what weddings can cost, I then make my decision. I want the best family, not the most amount of money I can get for my puppies. Mentioning cost is 1 thing, demanding a lower price 1st words out of their mouth, boots the buyer out of the running for a puppy of mine. Puppies are ours until they leave and it's our right to charge what we do. Once they leave, everything is out of our hands as we can see by the lazy sit conversation.

Sometimes that type of buyer shows signs earlier that we don't notice then and do later. I had 1 family recently that also wanted a refund, to keep the puppy who is healthy as a horse but was ill for a couple of weeks from nothing I did wrong. They asked for a discount initially due to a family member working with me prior. Stupid me gave it to them and I will never do it again for that type of reason. They wanted to keep the puppy, get a refund and have their vet bills paid. Give a pinky and they try to take an arm.

Here is the issue on a cold call. Neither party knows one another. Why waste your time and mine when the price could be out of my range.

here is what I suggest to any breeder. Tell the customer up front your dogs are not cheap and why. It would take a minute to do that.

I am the type that would pay twice what you are asking if I knew it was a quality pup with minimal health issues to be faced with.

Better breeders have waiting lists or are referred by satisfied customers. Most go in knowing their family or friends paid your asking price.

I suspect those thinking it rude would also not like going to the Car dealer and have no starting price to start negotiations. Maybe some of you are like car dealers and wait to see if I am a Doctor or Lawyer with deep pockets and charge accordingly to income.

If you guys go over to the RTF forum in their classified pups are priced very clearly. Many charge way more then Show Breeders.

Puppy Buyer
Here is the issue on a cold call. Neither party knows one another. Why waste your time and mine when the price could be out of my range.

here is what I suggest to any breeder. Tell the customer up front your dogs are not cheap and why. It would take a minute to do that.

I am the type that would pay twice what you are asking if I knew it was a quality pup with minimal health issues to be faced with.

Better breeders have waiting lists or are referred by satisfied customers. Most go in knowing their family or friends paid your asking price.

I suspect those thinking it rude would also not like going to the Car dealer and have no starting price to start negotiations. Maybe some of you are like car dealers and wait to see if I am a Doctor or Lawyer with deep pockets and charge accordingly to income.

If you guys go over to the RTF forum in their classified pups are priced very clearly. Many charge way more then Show Breeders.

Back before most clubs, breeders and rescues had websites, there was newspaper advertising, even by clubs, and flyer publicity for adoption events. Our rescue was advised by a lawyer to never, ever post an adoption fee in a newspaper or at an adoption event, as that was making it so that we could not refuse any comer with the money, as we were essentially offering it for sale, as one might a home or a car. I would presume that most of us on this forum do not consider a puppy sale very much like buying a car or a shirt, and we want the right to refuse a potential buyer. We are not pet shops and do not want just anyone with enough money to be able to buy just any puppy, whether or not it is a good fit for the home.

Not a Car, not a thing

Back before most clubs, breeders and rescues had websites, there was newspaper advertising, even by clubs, and flyer publicity for adoption events. Our rescue was advised by a lawyer to never, ever post an adoption fee in a newspaper or at an adoption event, as that was making it so that we could not refuse any comer with the money, as we were essentially offering it for sale, as one might a home or a car. I would presume that most of us on this forum do not consider a puppy sale very much like buying a car or a shirt, and we want the right to refuse a potential buyer. We are not pet shops and do not want just anyone with enough money to be able to buy just any puppy, whether or not it is a good fit for the home.

Amen to that. I recently had a pup buyer on my list ask me to offer $500 to the person ahead of them for the one and only CF in my litter (forgetting apparently that I am at the top of the list for every puppy in the litter). That was a major turnoff to me, to the point that I didn't ask them for a deposit at all. I feel sorry for the husband and 2 kids though, who really seem genuinely excited about a pup, but I have to wonder about her...

Nothing wrong with someone asking how much my puppies cost. They want to be sure that they can afford one and it never offends me when that question is brought up........beginning, middle or end. If it's not the right price for them or if I feel they're not the right family for my puppies, we all move on. No hurt feelings.

I find it entertaining that the only people that cry 'waaaaa-waaaaa" about price is the ones you can't get the top price or have a hard time selling their pups. Stop calling people who are good business people "puppy mills" just because they make a profit. Truth is, it goes right back into showing and their dogs. If I did not make a profit, I would not be able to show my dogs or take proper care of them.

Very well said.....

I have more of a problem with an email that says "do you have any pups and how much are they?"

A phone call that starts off with price question is not as annoying.

I tend to tell the caller what the price range is in this area for a well bred Labrador where both parents of the litter have all health clearances and ask that caller if that is within their price range.

If they say yes than I go on to talk about my dogs and my clearances and ask them questions and answer their questions.

Then I tell them my price.

To the poster that feels this is a business...... no way ..... its a hobby and if for any reason I am turned off by someone, not matter how much money they have, I will not sell them a pup.

These are my babies that I have whelped, raised and loved and lost sleep over, they don't go to just anyone.

It could be as simple as they have a one year old child and ready to deliver another in the next few months and want an 8 week old pup.

I don't think so..... but I do explain why I will not sell them a pup....

I also always take the time to educate. If someone says they were expecting to pay 500-800 for a Lab pup I explain what they will get for that price and the issues they could be dealing with for the life of the dog.

I have clients tell me all the time that they get a dog from me because I politely answer their questions, don't belittle them, and am friendly. I'll just say, the way I hear most breeders talk on the phone to potential clients…no WONDER they can't sell their pups!!! Or have to sell at a discount.