Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1 year old with tits

Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I have a one year old girl from a new bloodline. She is a chocolate if that helps. She has had tits that are fat like a human on the back four since about 6 months. She had her first heat at 9 months and they seem a bit larger. The Vet even asked me if she had been bred???? No way she was!
Should I be worried? We were getting her ready to show.

Re: 1 year old with tits

Concerned
Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I have a one year old girl from a new bloodline. She is a chocolate if that helps. She has had tits that are fat like a human on the back four since about 6 months. She had her first heat at 9 months and they seem a bit larger. The Vet even asked me if she had been bred???? No way she was!

LMAO you must be a dude! The correct term would be mammary development.

With that said, it could be hormonal, a fatty build up or something that needs medical attention. I would consult your veterinarian. And just so you don't offend the female receptionist, please refer to the problem with the correct term.

Tits--SMH and LMAO!!!

Do you have her overweight? If so that could be a contributing factor also she might be one that goes into a false pregnancy or has hormones that that make her develope that way. As to "breeder" that answered also not cool to make fun of a question like this, it is a legit question.

Long time breeder
Do you have her overweight? If so that could be a contributing factor also she might be one that goes into a false pregnancy or has hormones that that make her develope that way. As to "breeder" that answered also not cool to make fun of a question like this, it is a legit question.

Sorry about the term and should have thought of that word. I'm a Dudette.

So this isn't normal. She is slender and very active and the mammary glands are firm. I am surprised the Vet didn't suggest some kind of test when he saw it. She has had one heat cycle which seemed normal.

Thank you both for your advise except I don't know what those capital letters mean from the first person. I'll have her checked out by the Vet.

It's called Pseudo Pregnancy / False Pregnancy.

Hormone fluctuation can be caused by many illnesses. Even some types of worm infestation.

Have your Vet run a pre- surgical blood work up or the new cheaper blood test to see if anything is off.. also do a urinalysis . Fecal exam done recently ?

Concerned
So they existed prior to her 1st season, a drop larger since the 1st season at 9 mo. Then I highly doubt she had a false pregnancy.

It may be her make up from a different line than your used to or it could be something else medically or hormonally related. If your vet didn't know, I would consult with a repro vet to be sure they know what they're talking about.

My feeling is the line has larger mammary glands then your prior line but I'm not a repro vet. You could also do a phone consult with Hutch (email photos prior) for $50 if you don't have a local repro vet.

I hope it's just normal development for her. Can you speak to her original breeder about it?