Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
solid food

OK Do not yell at me, but I have to ask. How late is the very latest you have started puppies on solid food? I am leaving my girl friend in charge of my puppies. She works, so this is not easy. The longer I can leave mama girl in charge, the better. By the way. Mama girl is a wonderful mom and her 5 puppies are doing really, really well.

Re: solid food

3 weeks. I couldn't leave my Mama and pups and ejoy myself if everyone wasn't well fed and taken care of.

Had 3 pups and they were 4 weeks. Mom took great care of them and they were nice and plump. With a bigger litter, 3 weeks. Gave them one meal for a couple of days to start and then increased it to 2 meals for a couple of days and so on. Mom still cleaned up after them for the first few days after being on solids.

5 pups is not hard on the mom, if they are doing well just nursing from her leave it be, i've let some of my lltters nurse till 4 weeks before i've started giving food to the pups.

I would say it depends on the mama dog, she might not cooperate.

Depends on the age. I feed at 3 weeks no matter what. I have started as early as 2 1/2 weeks. At 4 weeks, my pups would be starving. If the pups have teeth, make sure mom has a way to get away from them. Do not leave her locked up with a box full of piranhas.

I think it al depends on Mom.

Consider this, I work so I wake up early and give puppies an early morning feed. I feed again 3-4 hours later when I leave for work. I feed them as soon as I get home from work and another meal 3-4 hours later just before I go to bed late. It has worked for me. Yes I loose a little sleep for a few weeks but my puppies are happy any healthy and mom is not overworked supplying the milk bar 24/7.

It is the trade off I make as someone who works yet still enjoys a itter once in a while.

Best of luck in your decision.