Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
change from prescription food

I had to put my dog on IAMS low residue due to runny stools and upset stomach-this has happened on several occasions. All testing came back normal, vet just feels she has a sensitive stomach that sometimes requires this diet. This time the vet said I could keep her on this food for good (even though the bag states not for long term use)said her dog is fed this daily. My question is can anyone suggest a food to switch to who may have had a similar experience-she was previously on IAMs. Also noticed her getting stained areas around eyes and mouth since on this. thank you.

Re: change from prescription food

have you had a stool checked for parasites (giardia, coccidia). etc?

A lot of vets have no idea about nutrition or proper food.

You may be best with a limited ingredient food like California Natural or a grain free food.

No, I would not feed a prescription food for life. Find the root cause of her problems or try another food (elimination diet). How old is she? Have you tried other foods? I personally have not had good luck feeding Iams or Eukanuba to my dogs long term. I don't know what it is about their food but another food by another manufacturer with the same ingredients will be ok with them.

Are there similar issues with other puppies from her litter? Upset stomach and runny stools are classic signs of a food sensitivity. Have you tried a limited ingredient diet with a protein source that she's never had before? Cut out all snacks except kibble? Don't discount water as a cause, try bottled water.

A second opinion and fresh approach might be in order, some vets just aren't into nutrition or yours could be overlooking something.

she is a pet, 6 years old..numerous stool samples run. have tried her on royal canin, natures variety-she won't eat them, very picky. she loved the IAMS-it was off shelf for quite awhile and once it came back these issues popped up. She loves the prescription diet and is fine on it-no more issues but I don't want to feed forever-maybe i'll try the wellness simple solutions. thank you