Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C-Section

I have a girl who just turned 5, she had her second litter several months back. We ended up in the emergency vet. She whelped 5 of the nine puppies, but the last four were taken via c-section. She is not a big pusher. She is slow delivering, so we made the choice to take her in and we decided on the c-section. After two litters, we wont let her whelp another only a scheduled c-section. This will be her third and last litter. Just curious on some of the breeders thoughts on c-sections? I thought about retiring her, but she is in great shape and does a great job with the puppies once whelped. Thoughts?

Bud W.

Re: C-Section

If my girl couldn't deliver naturally I wouldn't breed her again, without a doubt. C-sections should never be an elective procedure for dogs because it's a major surgery that carries major risks, you can lose your bitch and the pups. Dogs don't get spinal blocks like people do so puppies are anesthetized along with the bitch because they share a blood supply. Once the puppy is removed the clock is ticking to get it breathing and they are often handled harshly to wake them up. Have you seen a c-sec puppy after it's been removed from a bitch? They do not breathe and appear lifeless sometimes for 1/2 hour or more! Your bitch had some of her pups naturally and was a good mother but if she had them all by a c-section there is a chance she won't care for them. Don't take c-sections lightly it's an emergency procedure in dogs.

What bothers me is your statement "I thought about retiring her, but she is in great shape and does a great job with the puppies once whelped". You don't mention wanting another puppy for yourself or why you want to breed her again and this disturbs me. Retire her, don't risk her life so you can profit.

My sole reason for breeding her again would be keeping a puppy or two for myself. I have kept two of her puppies from her first two litters, and they were outstanding. I just like to get as much input as I can before making a decision. I will of course consult with my vet that does all of our AI's. I appreciate any thoughts. I will do what's in my girl's best interest. As far as profit goes... Haaaaaaaaaa. What profit? I have been in the red for years. You have too love it, or not do it... If there is anything extra it goes into food, vet bills, dog shows, gas ect....... I wish there was a little extra....

Bud W.

re C-Section
My sole reason for breeding her again would be keeping a puppy or two for myself.

Really? ... and jeopardize her life for that "one or two more" for yourself. C-sections are not to be taken lightly. Do the bitch a favor and spay her and place her in a pet home. It sounds to me like you care more about puppies than you do mom.

Where do you get your c-sections done 'Risk'? My pups come out breathing/crying and are in great shape. Had to have two done on my girl and she came out it fine and was a wonderful mom.

I have a great bitch that produced well, each time with a section . Ask the vet who did the surgery how her uterus looked. If it was in good shape and you would like to breed her again - I would. I hold the line at 3 litters - sections or not. I would run some bloodwork before she is bred to see if she is good for surgery.

another breeder
Where do you get your c-sections done 'Risk'? My pups come out breathing/crying and are in great shape. Had to have two done on my girl and she came out it fine and was a wonderful mom.

Agreed. My sectioned puppies are screaming on the first rub!

While I'd have to weigh a lot of factors before opting for a elective c-section, I also weigh quite a few before opting for an elective spay surgery. Any time you put your dog under, there are risks.

I appreciate your input. I know that there will be many opinions on this topic. I may end up spaying her, or I may decide to breed her again. I'm just trying to get ass much info as possible. We use one of the top repro vets in the country, so I feel confident the right choice will be made. If we do end up spaying her, she will live out her life with us either way. Thanks again for your input.

Bud W.

I'm not looking for someone to disagree with me or agree with me. I'm just looking for all the info that I can get so I make the right decision. I dont need a judge and jury.

Bud W.

risk
If my girl couldn't deliver naturally I wouldn't breed her again, without a doubt. C-sections should never be an elective procedure for dogs because it's a major surgery that carries major risks, you can lose your bitch and the pups. Dogs don't get spinal blocks like people do so puppies are anesthetized along with the bitch because they share a blood supply. Once the puppy is removed the clock is ticking to get it breathing and they are often handled harshly to wake them up. Have you seen a c-sec puppy after it's been removed from a bitch? They do not breathe and appear lifeless sometimes for 1/2 hour or more! Your bitch had some of her pups naturally and was a good mother but if she had them all by a c-section there is a chance she won't care for them. Don't take c-sections lightly it's an emergency procedure in dogs.

What bothers me is your statement "I thought about retiring her, but she is in great shape and does a great job with the puppies once whelped". You don't mention wanting another puppy for yourself or why you want to breed her again and this disturbs me. Retire her, don't risk her life so you can profit.

Hate to tell you Risk but there is a risk every time you breed your dog whether she free whelps or not, I found this out with this litter I have on the ground now, never seen anything like it in my 33+ years of breeding, I let my girl free whelp her 11 pups and she ended up in the hospital and almost died because she ended up with a massive infection in her uterus and mastitis and a fever of 107.1, she ended up having to be spayed 5 days later because meds were not helping to get her well fast enough and get rid of that uterine infection and spent a week in the hospital and all of this because I am one that will do a c section as a last resort, I absolutely HATE having to cut my girls for pups, would rather lose a few than to cut them open if they can free whelp. I have changed my mind about being so adament about not doing a c section right away if needed because of this, it has not been fun hand raising the remaining 8 pups. So while I still don't like doing a c section sometimes that is what needs to be done. I also don't know where you get your c sections done if needed... maybe your vet is using the old anestesia that takes forever for the bitch to come around and affect the pups, might want to inquire with him/her about it because mine come out screaming too....

Bud, if the bitch is producing great pups for you and she is in good health and the vet gives the go ahead I see no reason not to breed her again, however you might want to try giving her a chance to free whelp them naturally and wait a year after her last litter before breeding her again, it is still healthier for the bitch if she can free whelp without problems

Make sure your vet is using Propofol for C-sections.

Long time breeder

Hate to tell you Risk but there is a risk every time you breed your dog whether she free whelps or not, I found this out with this litter I have on the ground now, never seen anything like it in my 33+ years of breeding, I let my girl free whelp her 11 pups and she ended up in the hospital and almost died because she ended up with a massive infection in her uterus and mastitis and a fever of 107.1, she ended up having to be spayed 5 days later because meds were not helping to get her well fast enough and get rid of that uterine infection and spent a week in the hospital and all of this because I am one that will do a c section as a last resort, I absolutely HATE having to cut my girls for pups, would rather lose a few than to cut them open if they can free whelp. I have changed my mind about being so adament about not doing a c section right away if needed because of this, it has not been fun hand raising the remaining 8 pups. So while I still don't like doing a c section sometimes that is what needs to be done. I also don't know where you get your c sections done if needed... maybe your vet is using the old anestesia that takes forever for the bitch to come around and affect the pups, might want to inquire with him/her about it because mine come out screaming too....

Bud, if the bitch is producing great pups for you and she is in good health and the vet gives the go ahead I see no reason not to breed her again, however you might want to try giving her a chance to free whelp them naturally and wait a year after her last litter before breeding her again, it is still healthier for the bitch if she can free whelp without problems

If you think having a c-section would have decreased your bitches chance of getting an infection think again. Surgery is an invasive procedure and increases the chances of infection.

I think everyone is using Propofol these days or should be but that alone doesn't guarantee your puppies will come out screaming and breathing. Not at all! The size of the litter and the speed at which the vet can do the section has a lot to do with how much propofol the puppies get and how easily they are revived. The longer it takes the more anesthesia the pups get. If there are complications there could be delays and having a previous C-section could increase the time needed to do the procedure. Every case is different. It's major surgery and many bitches have died from sections or complications from them.

risk

If you think having a c-section would have decreased your bitches chance of getting an infection think again. Surgery is an invasive procedure and increases the chances of infection.

I think everyone is using Propofol these days or should be but that alone doesn't guarantee your puppies will come out screaming and breathing. Not at all! The size of the litter and the speed at which the vet can do the section has a lot to do with how much propofol the puppies get and how easily they are revived. The longer it takes the more anesthesia the pups get. If there are complications there could be delays and having a previous C-section could increase the time needed to do the procedure. Every case is different. It's major surgery and many bitches have died from sections or complications from them.

Never said there wasn't a risk had I done a c section, however i've now found out it can be just a dangerous to a bitch with a large litter free whelping them all, dammed if u do and dammed if you don't. I do however think if you've got a good vet with good staff it is much less risky doing a c section IF needed

Don't you think a bitch that has difficulty free whelping could pass on the same problem to her bitch puppies? Something to think about, I'm not telling you what to do. You asked for thoughts.

I do think that is possible. I have been told that if your bitch has trouble whelping, then her offspring may have some of the same problems. After taking it all into consideration. I agree with both sides of the issue. In this case however, I feel that its best that I retire her. She's been a great dog, and she has earned her retirement.

Thanks again for all of the information.

Bud W.