Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about price from a pet owner

I am a pet owner, recently lost my dog. Though I am no way near ready for another one, when the time comes, what can I expect to pay for a well-bred dog on the West Coast? TIA

Re: Question about price from a pet owner

$1500 to $2000 easily. Breeder choose to price their puppies differently for several reasons. I personally prefer the lower end of the average, but I know many people selling puppies for $1800+ in my area.

So sorry for your loss. It is never easy loosing a good friend.

I would suggest when you think yu are ready visit a local Specialty to meet some breeders and their dogs. It depends where on the west coast you are, but I do know Southern California Labrador Retriever Club has a specialty coming up April 25th and 26th.

Thank you for your reply. I am in Oregon, but willing to travel. When I had lost my prior dog to this one, I was living in So. Cal at the time and went to many dog shows plus to the Specialty. I will be in So. Cal the end of this month and the Specialty is #1 on my list of things to do.

I have not seen prices over $1500 in California for a well bred puppy.

Out West
I have not seen prices over $1500 in California for a well bred puppy.

OP, I'm sorry for you recent loss. Many breeders are recently going through losses too so we do understand.

Since the stud fees went up over the past 6 to 12 months [beginning in California coincidentally] from $1000 to $1200 up to $1500 to $1800 minimum for Finished Champions, I've heard of breeders all over the U.S. raising their prices including California. Antech has also raised their progesterone level prices and vets are passing it on plus and their costs have gone up too. C-sections are up, overall all expenses have so of course puppy cost does as well.

Average cost I've heard of in California is $1600 to $2000 similar to what another poster said. East Coast is a few hundred higher then West Coast, $1800 to $2500. The Midwest is lower but up from the old-typical $900 to $1200 up to $1500 to $1800. Same for Canada, up to $1500 minimum.

That's what I've been told by breeders with litters leaving or ready to go to their forever homes. Occasionally some breeders are lower but normally most are around the same price for their puppies by area.

When a breeder's costs go up, sometimes the cost of the puppies do and should. Good families don't seem to have problems with those prices.

Thank you all for your replies. I paid $800 for my guy 13 years ago. That was more than doubled for what I paid for my other one 15 years prior. So, I am not surprised to see those prices, which I totally understand the reasoning behind them, especially in terms of screening for health issues. Once again, thank you.

Betsy,
I would love to see you at the Specialty. I will be there on Saturday showing my youngster in the junior puppy class. You can look up the event at the Club's website.

http://lrcsocal.org/wp/?page_id=20

I personally do not have any pups available, but there are plenty well bred litters happening in the Southern California area and several breeders up your way I'm sure someone can refer you to.

Hope to see you while you visiting us.
Julie :)

I would think you'll be able to find a well bred Lab in the NW for $1000-1500. Check out Rose City and Puget Sound club sites for litter and breeder listings.