Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
idiopathic head tremor

Has anyone seen a lab with idiopathic head tremors? I've seen boxers, but I heard today of the first one in a labrador. Anyone have any advice? cures? treatments? thanks ahead of time for taking the time :)

Re: idiopathic head tremor

Are you sure it's not vestibular disease?

I've had experience with "head bobbing"-is this the same as head tremors you're asking about-if so I will reply.

yes, I think its the same thing

I had a 5 month old female that started with this..took her to the vet who witnessed an episode and really did not know what to make of it. We ran blood tests-all normal..I took her to a top neurologist who evaluated her..he had seen this before in Dobes but not labs. Was told to just watch her. They started to increase in frequency-while she experienced these she could follow commands run etc but it was horrible head bobbing. We spayed her and after that the episodes decreased and then stopped. However later in life, I think about 4-5 she had a seizure with some head bobbing proceeding it. More blood tests and that revealed low thyroid-put her on meds and again she was fine until 8 at which time she went into more seizure activity. We did not medicate her with Pheno but at 9 she started grand mal cluster seizures and needed medications-they helped short term as the dosage had to keep getting increased-she passed at a little over 10. The vets did not think the head bobbing was seizure activity at that time but I don't agree however, it was only my experience. I did find out two of her littermates also suffered from seizures. Good luck to you

well bred bloodlines, healthy litter of 9 except for 1. one little puppy had a bobble head, it was pretty much constant, he went to heaven at about 6 weeks of age.