Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: length of leg

so true, Tabatha is such a wonderful example. And the icing on the cake is to see her in the ring with her dogs and the repoire she has...truly lovely

As "Observer" pointed out it is more about depth of body than short legs in most cases, now when it gets to be extreme that is not a pretty picture at all, however show labs should not have shallow chests nor lots of leg under them, that would be a field type lab which for me is not my cup of tea at all. This is not a square breed, they are longer in body than they are tall, I also think weight on a lot of dogs contribute to making them look shorter legged too so people take that excess weight off your dogs and you may just portray a different picture. You say these judges are rewarding these supposed short legged dogs, consider this, the judge has to look at all the dogs in the ring and if the one with shorter legs is the best "put together dog" while the others may have more leg that is the one the judge will give the win to.... so it could be the other dogs in the ring are just not up to snuff

Long time breeder, so you are telling me that at a large specialty that the only good dog is the one short on leg. I do not think so. And Labs at supposed to be equal or slightly longer then tall. And it plainly states that length of leg from elbow to ground is the same distances as withers to elbow.
I have seen these dogs in person and they are short on leg.

Wondering
Long time breeder, so you are telling me that at a large specialty that the only good dog is the one short on leg. I do not think so. And Labs at supposed to be equal or slightly longer then tall. And it plainly states that length of leg from elbow to ground is the same distances as withers to elbow.
I have seen these dogs in person and they are short on leg.

Well as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and to the judge that dog he/she puts up is the best one in his/her eyes.
As to the standard, the only true standard is the english one, our "New and Improved American Standard" is not correct and I will never breed to it, that standard was changed illegally by field people

long time breeder one of the most serious faults is unbalance in a dog. A dog with legs that are not equal in length to the depth of body from withers to elbow is an incorrect dog no matter how pretty it is otherwise. I have been watching this become more and more common in recent years. The depth of chest can be deceiving and coat length can cause your eye to stray from the true point to measure the elbow. There are some very lovely dogs out there that are short on leg. Those dogs should not be rewarded though because it is a serious fault. Until you are the one in the ring judging it is hard to know what issues the judge is finding during an exam or gaiting. You must place priority on faults and failings and balance is number two behind type for me.

Short legged, long in body and poor upper arms seem to have thrown the outline off by a lot. Hopefully, it's cyclical and eventually the outline will right itself.

JMO
long time breeder one of the most serious faults is unbalance in a dog. A dog with legs that are not equal in length to the depth of body from withers to elbow is an incorrect dog no matter how pretty it is otherwise. I have been watching this become more and more common in recent years. The depth of chest can be deceiving and coat length can cause your eye to stray from the true point to measure the elbow. There are some very lovely dogs out there that are short on leg. Those dogs should not be rewarded though because it is a serious fault. Until you are the one in the ring judging it is hard to know what issues the judge is finding during an exam or gaiting. You must place priority on faults and failings and balance is number two behind type for me.

Shorter legs in your opinion is the most serious fault, don't say it is the most serious for all, i'd take a shorter legged dog over a dog with a poor front anyday (not that I like shorter legged dogs), it's all subjective and each breeder has their pet peeves what they will live with or can't so we all need to agree to disagree and accept the judges opinion

This again??? Same old, same old. Can we talk about something new on this forum?
Problem lies in what judges reward, period. Talk to your judges. Don't come on here and whine. Is it because your dogs has leg and does not win? Then find judges to show to that reward length of leg and movement!

If you mentor young/new breeders…EDUCATE. And go breed dogs with LEG!!!

I think this forum should be named the Wiscoy Whiners….lololol

Lighten up…and trust some of us judges to do our job to make sure stumpy dogs do not get rewarded

breeder
so true, Tabatha is such a wonderful example. And the icing on the cake is to see her in the ring with her dogs and the repoire she has...truly lovely

Yep she is awesome, a real treat to see her with her dogs and how they all obey and adore her

Long time breeder
breeder

Yep she is awesome, a real treat to see her with her dogs and how they all obey and adore her

Just chiming in to agree. She has 'the eye' for her ideal labrador and has stuck to it all these years. She holds her girls to a very high standard, taking the concept of 'breeding quality' to the highest level, and is absolutely ruthless about cutting those from her breeding program who don't meet her standards. It isn't just looks: temperament and ability to work are equally important. Even if someone doesn't care for her type (I very much do), one has got to admire her commitment to the breed. Even better is how she will take the time to share her wise words with a novice, because she loves the breed more deeply than anyone else I've ever met.

Romeo the great.................................................

I think everyone makes great points on the subject, but your all missing the point! Romeo is the best dog in the world with proper everything.... Including legs................................................ He's the only dog all others should be compared too............. LOL...............

Re: Romeo the great.................................................

Romeo lover
I think everyone makes great points on the subject, but your all missing the point! Romeo is the best dog in the world with proper everything.... Including legs................................................ He's the only dog all others should be compared too............. LOL...............

Hey.. I saw him first... he's mine.All mine.