Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potty trained at 8 weeks?

Puppy buyer asked if puppy will be mostly potty trained at 8 weeks?
I am lost in what to say. All I see is red flags not to sell a puppy to this person. How do I respond to this?
They have a 9 year old dog.

Please help,

Donna

Re: Potty trained at 8 weeks?

How about 'No, and what are you going to do to potty train it?' After they tell you, you can give them appropriate hints. If your gut says no after you talk to them then don't sell the puppy.

If you see/feel red flags, don't sell to them. Say something in a kind tone of voice such as, "I don't feel comfortable with this situation for my pup. For instance, an 8 week old pup does not have the bladder control to have been in potty training at 6, 7 and now 8 weeks. I feel expectations for this pup are unreasonable and that you will be disappointed in pup. I am going to save this pup for a family which I am comfortable with. Thank you for your inquiry."

Actually, I have had the occasional pup potty trained at that age, but it's rare and not a 'selling' point. That expectation is unreasonable.

I recently turned down several families for a pup which was unusually active to the point of hyper. I just found a very active family who doesn't mind the pranks and activity which pup has to offer. Wait for the best family for pup.

I tell folks mine are potty trained to the pellet pool very solidly, but not to hold their breath that if in the family room playing, he'll remember to go to the door. Some do, however, most require some added input.

I think some of these ideas come from Ian Dunbar's free puppy preparation book available online (Before you get your puppy-- I think that's the name). Dunbar puts it out there several times throughout that the breeder should have a 100% "clean" (potty trained) puppy at 8 wks, AND it should already know Sit, Down, Stand etc. Oh, and if you raise your puppies in the basement (doesn't matter if it's fully finished, w/ nice amenities) or move them to the garage (again, doesn't matter if the garage is attached and part of the house, heated, etc), that's a red flag.

I seriously doubt he's ever raised a litter, but I'm hearing a lot of these comments and questions lately so it's a little troublesome.

PS here is the link. http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

OK I'm going to jump in here, let the bombs fly! I have been raising puppies over the past 30 years and mine are potty trained at 8 weeks but need to be watched after they go to their new homes and be taught the new situation, different doors and no outside access. I have had very few that weren't trained at 8 weeks and most have it down by 5-6 weeks.

Mine have indoor access and don't go inside. They will run outside to do their business and come back inside.

They do need reinforcement at their new homes and I tell the people what to look for and how to handle different situations. Mine are trained to use a doggie door on their own and have access at about 4 weeks. I have found they want to go as far away from where they sleep and eat as possible. The outside pen has a top to keep birds out and they will go to the very back of their first yard to do their business.

I always tell people the rule of thumb is - the # of months + 1 is the max number of hours a puppy can hold their bladders until reliably house trained.

It's always worked for me.

I agree that potty training is situational, just as all training is. The rule of thumb on 1hr per month is one I use as well but it's amazing how many think if the puppy sleeps thru the night once or 2x, it's okay, then are surprised when it comes up w/ a UTI.

I've got a "puppy preparation" document that is several pages long now that discusses a lot of this. I send it out along w/ my contract once the pups are ~7-10 days old, so I hope not to have those types of questions anymore unless for some reason they are a late comer to the litter. It's been well worth it as it addresses such things as visitation, diet, training, etc too. Worth a thought.

My puppies are potty trained at 8 weeks and they can hold it for an 8 hours night at 10 weeks. I instruct the new owners to take the puppy out in the middle of the night until the puppy is 10 weeks old and that does it.

"I always tell people the rule of thumb is - the # of months + 1 is the max number of hours a puppy can hold their bladders until reliably house trained.

It's always worked for me."

That is exactly what I though. Thanks. :)