Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
progesterone tests after 5.0?

Do any of you test after you 5.0? why or why not? Thanks.

Re: progesterone tests after 5.0?

I test on the day I have a surgical implant done. It's not necessary but I like to know.

No, never did. What is the point to test after ovulation?

Ovulation is between 5 -10. You need to see a nice jump after 5 then breed two days after (if chilled).

I have done it before, but wont do it again. It's just more money to spend. We always wait 2-3 days after 5.0 to breed, and have been successful. Its more of a want to know number, because at that point either we are successful or not?!

GreggT
No, never did. What is the point to test after ovulation?
Is ovulation truly a 5? Not from what I've learned. It runs between 5 & 10. So what if a bitch stalls at a 5.1? Sometimes it's better to know the no.'s are moving upward.

I have occasionally tested after a 5 depending on the situation and what the stud-owner asks me to do.

Yes, just like other posters have said ovulation between 5-10. Found out my girls tend to ovulate closer to 10 than 5. If you are planning a litter that you really want my thought is, what's one more test? I typically use the progesterone numbers to back up my gut feeling. So glad I did because I had my first singleton last week if I had not know when she ovulated I wouldn't have felt as confident when I went to section on day 63 from ovulation.

Sometimes getting a bigger picture is better to piece together the details and if one more test is what it takes I would rather just do it.

Best of Luck :)

I generally do one on the day of an insemination just to be sure she didn't stall. If I know what her numbers were that day, I can judge if I want to do a second cover.