Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urinary Issues in Older Male Lab

My neutered male Lab will be 11 in July. For a couple of years now, he has had to urinate frequently. and is now unable to hold it for more the four hours at a time. I feed him at 4 am. 5 p.m. and although he loves to drink water, it's not to excess.

Bloodwork from January was normal and two weeks ago, my vet reluctantly sent a urine sample to an outside lab Specific gravity and kidney function were n normal, although I don't have the report. I'm just going by what the vet told me over the phone. She was reluctant to take the sample because she thinks it's behavioral and that the dog is "conning" me into thinking he has to go, just to get outside. No cancer cells were found in the urine, but white blood cell count was slightly elevated. She prescribed a week long course of amoxicillin, and told me to call her if things did not improve. She is still of the belief that it's primarily behavioral and encouraged me to have him try to build up his retention capacity.

When I asked about bladder weakness due to age, she said it's not common in males. (My dog is a semi-retired service dog who was neutered at 6 months.) I think the amoxicillin was somewhat helpful, but the problem is not solved. I started him on 500 mg. per day of cranberry powder, but don't know if that will really do any good. I haven't called the vet back yet.

I ordered some of Vetri-Science "Bladder Strength" but it hasn't arrived yet. I am somewhat concerned that it can't be given to dogs with diarrhea. Not that my dog has frequent diarrhea, but I wonder why that is? If this doesn't work, is PPA likely to? He is not truly incontinent, because he can hold it, just not all that long. His bowel function is fine.

I have been able to provide excellent vet care and a good life for my dog so far, and I want to address this issue, if at all possible.

Thanks for any insights!

Re: Urinary Issues in Older Male Lab

I had a male dog who had urinary issues as well. He did not drink excess amounts of water, but being able to hold his bladder for more than 4-5hrs was a chore for him. Issue began when he was 5-6yrs old. Turns out my dog had Diabetes Insipidus (not related to diabetes mellitus). I treated with a prescription every day for years. The prescription (no-generic available) was nearly $250 a month. He lived to be 14yrs old.

With all males you have to consider the Prostate Gland. Intact or neutered. Does not matter.

More then likely the boy is not able to empty his bladder properly due to the old prostate as they do enlarge as they get older. The same as with human men.

While the cran caps are good. At Whole Foods they sell a product from New Chapter called Prostate 5 LX .. It has worked wonders for my old boy.

http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/prostate-5lx

Has your Veterinarian done a rectal exam to check his prostate? Also another suggestion would be to have your veterinarian do an abdominal x-ray to check for bladder stones or masses. Just a thought....Good luck with your old fellow.

Having the same problem. Have had bloodwork done twice in the past year, an ulrasound & xrays. Can't find anything wrongexcept white count is slightly elevated. Don't think its behavioral, lets me know when he has to go & at times it takes a good minute, sometimes 2 to finish. Been on a course of clavamox twice. Vet says his urine is very dilute. Just try not to leave him alone more than an hour or so. Crate him when I am gone and if more than a couple hours he is crying to get out when I get home.
He was neutered 4 years ago.

He's not going to 'build his retention' if he has an undiagnosed problem and dilute urine! Yes, old dogs can get 'soft' and bladder pressure not always felt to empty completely. My old boy has some mind issues now and I encourage him to empty by putting him where other dogs have peed, especially those girls.
Have you had a cystocentesis urine sample cultured for proper antibiotic if needed? One week amoxicillin is not going to help a persistant UTI. Neither is a free catch sample going to be accurate from a boy.
Check prostate, do regular bloodwork to monitor kidney and liver changes. Ultrasound?
May be early Cushings or 'Cushingoid' symptoms. You can ACTH stimulation test for adrenal function. Adrenal tumor?
Yes, there is behavioural water drinking, but usually starts because of physical problem in the first place!
I also had a young dog with allergy and inflammation who drank buckets and peed frequently because dilute.
Try a second opinion, be proactive and help him be more comfortable.

check prostate. Also diabetes…if they drink a lot of water it could be that