Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visits with pregnant bitches

I have a puppy buyer who wants to visit with bitch now before pups are born. She is almost due and I am thinking no.

Just don't want to sound rude. I did say I do not want people visiting until pups are 4 weeks old.

What to say?

Re: Visits with pregnant bitches

nothing wrong with letting her visit the pg bitch

You tell her that your bitch and her health and the health of the litter in utero and after birth are the most important thing to you.

You will not allow any visitors after breeding is done and until the pups are at the age you allow visiting.

Tell her you will keep her posted via email and pics of pups etc.

If that is not good enough, tell her to find a pup somewhere else.

Stick to your guns for the sake of your pups.

I personally don't allow visits at 4 weeks of age - to much can brought on your property by potential buyers and kill your litter.

Any person on my list for a litter that does not understand my concerns for the sake of my pups I ask them to move on to another breeder.

Herpes is a concern for last 3 weeks of gestation and first 3 weeks of birth.

Make your decision wisely (according to long time breeder's post)

Not to mention Parvo that a potential buyer may pick up at a dog park or another breeders and track onto your property.

For gods sake, its not worth selling that one pup to allow people where you should not....... Follow your gut!!!!

I don't think there's any medical reason to not allow visits to a pregnant bitch.

Tell them to wear clean clothes (not visit other breeders beforehand). Take off their shoes before they come inside, wash their hands. Don't see why they couldn't visit while she is pg.

I am concerned for my dogs and their health especially when they are pregnant and have puppies. That is first and foremost. But that said I'm very weary of the people who present themselves as potential puppy buyers who are a general PITA. Talk about rude! I am not a open to the public "puppy store"..nor am I the entertainment for them and their kids on a boring Saturday. Over the years I have had pushy people with no intention of purchasing a puppy show up and waste hours of my time looking around my house at the "facility." I do not have a kennel. This is my home with dogs living inside. I never have any trouble finding wonderful homes for all my puppies. I don't need a parade of strangers here for months in advance and after a litter arrives.
No need to go into long health related explanations. Believe me--these bores will have an answer for everything you say--"we will come right here, we will wash our hands and take off our shoes, we'll just stay a short time."
I had one who even bothered the stud owner when I mentioned who the planned sire was. Another brought towels and swim suits and asked if her 2 kids might go for a swim in my in-ground pool. They had their own snacks:) Who needs it??

A visit would be fine. Can you imagine a pregnant woman not being allowed to be in contact with other people. I worked in a big school until a week before my child was born. Now they are saying soap and water is better than all the anti-bacterial gels. People are getting paranoid about everything. Let you bitch have fun and enjoy life. You too.

Maybe a fun little outing a a park near your home?
I personally do not invite people to my home until puppies are over 6 weeks old and I have received a reservation fee for a pup.
I have children and am protective of my home, children, and our private space. If people want to meet my dogs before that time they are welcome to meet with me at an event or at a public place.
When I explain my position my prospective puppy families' have been more than willing as most of them don't want relative strangers in their home either.

I think showing pups at 4 weeks old should be more of your concern. My pups don't even get their vaccine until they are 7-8 weeks old. If people want a pup from me and want to visit that early…they can go elsewhere….I won't put my pups in jeopardy like that. People need to get educated.

What if that person visited another kennel before yours (they will lie and say they won't, of course) and bring in God knows what??? Or they were in a pet store or worse…those undeveloped immune systems in those 4 week old pups are in danger!

LOL….OMG, that's horribly rude to think they could swim in your pool…my mouth is still at my knees…oh my, I feel so bad for you

No, NO, but heck no. They can see the dog in pictures. If they can't wait to see pups at 5 weeks and mom, let them go somewhere else. Not taking any chances. Too much invested.

I need to meet people in person first before I will consider them for one of my puppies, so yes, I do have people come while my bitches are pregnant up to about 1 or 2 weeks before she is due. However, they are not invited to my house until we have had extensive phone conversations and I am pretty sure they are someone I am interested in as a potential home. When they come for the in person interview they are never allowed inside the house, I meet them in the driveway and they are led around to the gate to my yard and meet selected dogs in my yard and exit through the gate when they leave. This meeting is more for me, not for them, I want to see how they interact with my dogs,if they have kids how they behave, etc. If I like them then after the puppies are born I will offer to accept a deposit from them. However, no one visits the puppies until they are 5 weeks old. Remember though, this is your bitch and your litter, you do not owe anyone a thing, do what you are comfortable with. If someone does not like it, thats their problem, do not give it a second thought.

These sound like very nice people. I offered an outing and offered them to meet the bitches mother. They were just fine with that. Now thinking maybe even an outing with the bitch might just be ok also as long as they had not visited another kennel?

Yes, I am with other. I don't like strangers tromping through the house. Getting all barking and we have so many Walmart greeters. And who wants to spend time cleaning before company comes? We all do it. Well I do. :)

Donna
These sound like very nice people. I offered an outing and offered them to meet the bitches mother. They were just fine with that. Now thinking maybe even an outing with the bitch might just be ok also as long as they had not visited another kennel?

Yes, I am with other. I don't like strangers tromping through the house. Getting all barking and we have so many Walmart greeters. And who wants to spend time cleaning before company comes? We all do it. Well I do. :)

No need to let them into your house, they can visit in the yard, I never let people into my house, everything is done outside in the yard, there is no reason they need to come into my house, also no puppy buyers are allowed here after puppies are born till the day they come to pick them up, not going to take a chance on them getting parvo

I agree, hold your ground..........I don't let them come while she is pregnant OR until they have had their first set of shots. Too much out there to warrant risking the health of your bitch or your litter!