Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AI Technique

Just curious how important technique on an AI is to sucessful insemination? Thoughts? This after taking into account that semen is strong, progesterone is 5.0 +, etc.

Re: AI Technique

Not sure what you mean by technique? Are you asking how to do an AI?

Sorry, that was a little vague, my apologies. From what I understand, there seems to be a general method of keeping the bitch's rear elevated after the insemination. I have heard/read anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. In your experience, does this make a big difference in a successful breeding? Any other tips?

For my money breeding using the transcervical procedure is worth the extra money. I have done many AI, with some success, but from my experience the transcervical has a far better success rate. I didn't mean to get off topic, I just thought that I would throw that out there.

If you want to elevate the girls rear you can but 1 or 2 minutes is plenty. I've read a study that shows after the first minute elevation makes no difference as the sperm is where it is supposed to be in that amount of time.

According to Hutch, after the initial insemination, during which the bitch's rear is held elevated at a slant, holding elevated is no longer necessary. Having said that, I still hold her rear elevated while feathering for about 5 minutes prior to crating for an hour or so (I make sure she has pottied prior to the AI).

One additional thing about technique: It's always important, too, to make sure the end of the AI pipette isn't up against a fold of tissue within the vaginal tract when infusing the semen in. All too often, that results in leakage of semen back out. Anyone who has witnessed a transcervical insemination (TCI) in person will have seen just how big those vaginal folds can get when a bitch is ready for breeding. If properly placed and not up against a fold, you should not see any semen leaking back out unless you are putting in a huge quantity.

I can think of many things people have blind spots too.

Never collect semen in a container that has been washed with detergent or water --kills sperm

Don't set your collection anywhere near sunlight

be careful to use non spermicidal lubricant…the only one I trust is from mini tube UsA

Don't use latex gloves

don't re-use ANY of the syringes/pipettes (believe it or not, I knew people who do this!)

Boy I could go on and on...

Also, if you are doing it yourself, you need to learn from someone experienced so you don't HARM your bitch doing the AI, depending on what kind of pipette you use, or catheter…and how far to insert it. Some also move it back and forth injecting the semen into both horns of the uterus

me
Also, if you are doing it yourself, you need to learn from someone experienced so you don't HARM your bitch doing the AI, depending on what kind of pipette you use, or catheter…and how far to insert it. Some also move it back and forth injecting the semen into both horns of the uterus

Injecting into the horns of the uterus???? LOL, are you doing a surgical implant? What kind of advice is this?

ha
me

Injecting into the horns of the uterus???? LOL, are you doing a surgical implant? What kind of advice is this?
I thought exactly the same.

This is why if you have important questions, call Dr. Hutchinson for a $50 phone consult if you don't have a mentor or stud owner well versed in reproduction. You can get some good, basic ideas on here but not everyone knows everything.

me

This post is a perfect example of the dangers of seeking advice on a forum where anyone can post anything, even the most ridiculous information. To the uninitiated, the above advice might sound as though it was coming from an experienced, knowledgable person. Thank goodness they were not advising the dosage of worming preparation or other medication.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am not attempting an AI on my own bitch and would only do so with proper guidance, so no worries. A friend of mine in another breed and I were discussing this situation and I was merely curious about other's expeiences. It never hurts to ask questions, otherwise, we don't learn. Thanks again!