Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pet puppy

Why a antibiotic? I would think crate rest, leash walking and glucosomine/MSM combo would be a better course of action. Also, no more 'day care' for a while!

yes antibiotic does not make sense at all.

Makes no sense. I would ask your vet why he gave antibiotics?

Sorry, anti-inflammatory.
After I heard from her. I suggested, crate rest, leash walk only until meds are finished. Then slowly let him get back to his former routine. And, he is a puppy his play/exercise should be monitored.
I have my doubts about this Vet.

I'd have them put pup on Glucosamine/chondroitin WITH MSM and Vitamin C asap. I've had so many similar issues over the years, all resolved with supplement. Last one was the biggest scare - vet said pup had OCD of hock and hip dysplasia and wanted to do extensive surgery right away. Pup stopped limping after a week of the supplement (probably due to the MSM) Michigan State University Vet school looked at x-rays as said "normal healthy pup". My vet then took xrays to send to OFA last week - vet thinks hips will rate excellent (prelim). Pups can tear and injure so easily - mine all now receive the supplement as a preventative. It could be pano, ligament tear, etc., etc. Supplement and crate rest for 2-3 weeks, most likely all will be well and pup will be fine.

Vets are going nuts about x-raying and surgery. I found two weeks ago as I boarded another one of mine that their pup had a limp for a week a year ago. They looked at the info I sent home and supplemented. Pup was fine after a week and still doing great. Their vet was talking surgery also without any x-ray proof and after only 1 week limp. The vets are going nuts - we need to educate our pup families to prevent pups from unneeded surgery and suffering.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-orange-16-fl-oz-474-ml-liquid?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=129500238&mkwid=7IqApz0g&pcrid=49285704727&gclid=CMDF9MWsg74CFTMA7AodG0gAIQ

Thank you. I'll pass on your advice and hopefully all will be well.