Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roundworms

yes
For those with a genetic predisposition toward allergies, does having to fight general parasites prior to the development of a hyperactive immune system increase the odds of having a normal immune system? My understanding is "yes" but again, I think this is more at the hypothesis level. Another poster seemed to think there was specific research supporting this hypothesis.

I'd guess NOT based on some of my friends' stories. I've heard of several pups w/ fairly bad cases of worms at 8 - 9 wks that ended up w/ significant allergies by age 1. Maybe there is some happy medium there, but I'm not one to chance it if at all possible.

Maybe some have such strong genetic predispositions to allergies that environmental influences don't matter much???

Happy medium/balance must also be an important part of it.

Cool discussion...thanks for sharing your experience.

windycanyon
yes
For those with a genetic predisposition toward allergies, does having to fight general parasites prior to the development of a hyperactive immune system increase the odds of having a normal immune system? My understanding is "yes" but again, I think this is more at the hypothesis level. Another poster seemed to think there was specific research supporting this hypothesis.

I'd guess NOT based on some of my friends' stories. I've heard of several pups w/ fairly bad cases of worms at 8 - 9 wks that ended up w/ significant allergies by age 1. Maybe there is some happy medium there, but I'm not one to chance it if at all possible.

windycanyon
yes

I believe everything is just a hypothesis at this time. My experience was the same as your friends stories. The most parasitic puppy that I had acquired was my only allergic dog (spayed). I've had a lot of discussions with my vet on this topic.

Many are under the wrong assumption that adult dogs who get their monthly Heartworm Pill are killing adult worms in the gut. The product only kills larve.

Labradors because they put anything and everything into their mouths can get worms of any type. Yes they get them from their mothers too.

Adult hunting dogs or those who are exposed to the environment need twice annual deworming with Fenbendazole/ Panacur even if signs of worms are not present. Otherwise you run the risk of an major worm infestation that can be deadly.

As far as allergies, worms actually can be the cause as they can ulcerated the lining of the gut and cause leaky gut syndrome that allows the immune system to see food as an invader.

Worm your dogs, it is not something good for their immune system . All worms eventually will go to the lungs if not treated. It can become a fatal disease if it gets that far along.

No one cares what you have to say Romeo Lover, you make no sense at all.... to all others thank you for the information, I guess we shall see with time what happens with these babies