Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4-6 Month Pupppy Class

While a breeder and one who has shown in conformation -- I have a "new puppy" and for the first time for me -- plan to show her in the 4-6 month puppy class in the next 2 months. What is the ring procedure? I've read that we need to show the teeth/bite to the judge -- but that's about all I know. Is the ring procedure the same as in regular classes? And -- How can I work with my little one to prepare her for this class? TIA!!

Re: 4-6 Month Pupppy Class

Since she has had all her puppy shots get her to a handling class near you so you and pup learn what to do. Free baiting, hand stacking, hands on by judge/strangers - going over her, checking bite, etc.

Good luck when you hit the ring.

Have fun.

Thank you very much! I can take her to a handling class and will look to get more "hands on" experience with other people! It sounds like the ring procedure is the same as for regular classes -- and I know how to do that. I've been working with her -- short periods of gaiting in the yard and also stacking her on a table. She's only 3 months old now -- and is a puppy -- lots of wiggles! Thanks again -- we're looking to have a good time! At her 4 month old entry age, I want it to be fun -- not serious!

That's the best attitude to have - fun! During the course of the day, slip a lead on her - and free bait with treats. Different times, different places.

SHOWING THE BITE
Judges may still follow usual ring procedure. I found that, in spite of the good regulations that would minimize disease spread from mouth to mouth, some judges tended to want to examine the mouth hands on themselves. Not ideal with a teething pup with a sore mouth, but not horrible, either. I would prefer that judges remember the regulations as we ease the pups into this, as conformation exhibition in dogs is so much dirtier than that at cat shows, where disinfection between entries is the rule.

ANOTHER RING or TENT
The other issue is that the class is sometimes held FAR from where the breed is being shown at big all breed shows. It makes for some interesting logistics, especially with schedule conflicts. That is something to keep in mind if your class dog is in BBE! Ideally, they won't schedule them too close in time if far in distance. One ring over is okay, but a few tents away, hard to navigate with everyone rushing.

Thanks for your helpful comments! I've read where the exhibitor is to be prepared to show the bite and I'll take the initiative and do that as it makes sense.
I've never watched this class, unfortunately. I think I read that the sexes are not divided -- but what's the ring procedure? Do we go around all together, individual examination -- up & back? That's what I'd like to know more about. TIA!

Both sexes go around together. Read the judging procedure as well. Note that FSS and Miscellaneous are eligible to compete in the Beginner Puppy competitions, so if you get past Group, you may meet some new breeds.
http://classic.akc.org/4-6puppy/index.cfm