Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will you breed just because you have handful of puppy inquiries?

Just asking, will you breed just because you have handful of puppy inquiries?

When people ask you when are you going to produce the same quality you have previously produced, does it mean that people love the type you produce? Does it justify breeding?

When you see very happy and very satisfied new owners of puppies bought from you, then comes people asking when will be your next litter? Does it justify breeding?

Very happy and very satisfied new puppy owners, very eager people waiting for your next litter = is breeding justified???

just asking for you opinion. I dont have that kind of number of inquiries but I know a kennel who does have so.

Thanks!

Re: Will you breed just because you have handful of puppy inquiries?

It is a factor I consider along with what I need for my own breeding program. The few times I have had a litter and not planned to keep a puppy myself it was done for a close friend who wanted a puppy related to one they already had, and I had other buyers waiting. I almost always lose money when i breed, so there has to be something in it for me.

Thanks ms peggy!

I also think that both should be considered. Because if you breed only for the purpose of producing a specific type you want or need, then what are you going to do to the other puppies not for keeps?

I think before breeding, the breeder must also ensure there are loving homes willing to wait for the litter.

No I don't breed unless I want a puppy.

As far as the puppies that aren't keepers, unless you are in an area that has a ton of breeders, this is never a problem. Actually there isn't enough well-bred puppies to meet the demand in most areas. Service organizations will take all the well-bred puppies one can provide and some will even purchase them. You don't have to worry about this type of puppy ending up in a shelter if that's your concern.

I've had inquiries from new families and original families from the 90's and early 2000's but I won't breed unless I want to keep.

It seems there is a desire for puppies and there aren't enough to go around, especially yellow bitch puppies. That doesn't mean we all hop on with the person of interest in the other subject and breed to try to make money when we don't need to keep at the time. jmo.

I never breed unless I am planning on keeping a puppy. As far as what to do with the ones that aren't my keepers, they are of the same blood lines, same genetic makeup, they have all received the same care and health management and are all equally good enough pups to be placed in forever pet homes. When people call asking for another puppy like the one they got 10 years ago from me, most are willing to wait. For those that aren't, I will send them to another breeder who may have similar lines. But never would I breed a litter just because people have called about purchasing a puppy from me. Way, way too much work for that alone.

Like I said, it is better if both aspects are considered. Not just thinking for the keeper but also for those that need to be rehomed.

There are so many people wanting labs and they need to get GOOD, HEALTHY, WELL BRED labs. Why not breed because there is demand for your pups? As long as you have the room and time and they are well socialized. The world needs more professionally bred labs. Why do you think there are so many puppy mills and BYB's??? People WANT LABS... Better our labs our there than the crap that most people resort to because there are not enough good quality labs out there. If they don't come to us…the go down the ladder and it just keeps the mills canning out pups to meet the demand instead of people who know what they are doing…

JMHO…which is of course, is not politically correct, but its something to consider.

The old supply and demand. I don't agree at all

labradorable
There are so many people wanting labs and they need to get GOOD, HEALTHY, WELL BRED labs. Why not breed because there is demand for your pups? As long as you have the room and time and they are well socialized. The world needs more professionally bred labs. Why do you think there are so many puppy mills and BYB's??? People WANT LABS... Better our labs our there than the crap that most people resort to because there are not enough good quality labs out there. If they don't come to us…the go down the ladder and it just keeps the mills canning out pups to meet the demand instead of people who know what they are doing…

JMHO…which is of course, is not politically correct, but its something to consider.

Yes, people want Labs, but they don't want to pay the price of a quality puppy from healthy, certified, tested, titled parents, from a breeder that cares about the breed.

They want the cheapest puppy they can find. I won't devalue my program for anyone, no matter how much they want a puppy. I put too much into my dogs; let the bargain hunters "resort " to the puppy mills and the BYB's., that's their business. People want a puppy NOW, that's that sense of entitlement. I prefer my puppies to go to people who understand quality and are willing to research first, and then wait.

I only breed for myself, when I am ready for my next puppy. When I'm planning a litter, I put the word out, and start taking names.

Well, if you were to peek at some of the #'s being sold from a few of these commercial breeders on here.They are fetching the top dollar they are asking. Unfortunetly you do not always get what you pay for. But that surprise comes way past the contract date.

But your right. I see puppies being sold online and in newspapers for dirt cheap. However, dont we all know most newbies and first time buyers have not a clue. And are very soured after the initial shock after the big prices wear off as well.

The answer, slow it down. Make them work for it. Educate educate educate every chance you get. But hey, if you can put your head on your pillow each night knowing you are doing right by your breed. Then a good nights sleep you will have.

labradorable
Why not breed because there is demand for your pups?

Because animals are not machines. Breeding any animal takes it's toll on the animal including shortening lifespan.

I breed a litter when I have room for a new pup to run on. Other than that, puppy buyer wants do not factor into my plans. I am thankful for them when I have pups to sell, but my plans are for ME.

And just IMHO, producing puppies just to sell to pet buyers is not the kind of breeder I want to be.

However, if you breed, you dont just get a pup. Usually you get around 5 to 8 puppies. What are you going to do with the rest if you only plan to keep a pup or two. Thats why a breeder should consider the demand as well along with the target pup.

Wag the Dog
labradorable

Yes, people want Labs, but they don't want to pay the price of a quality puppy from healthy, certified, tested, titled parents, from a breeder that cares about the breed.

They want the cheapest puppy they can find. I won't devalue my program for anyone, no matter how much they want a puppy. I put too much into my dogs; let the bargain hunters "resort " to the puppy mills and the BYB's., that's their business. People want a puppy NOW, that's that sense of entitlement. I prefer my puppies to go to people who understand quality and are willing to research first, and then wait.

I only breed for myself, when I am ready for my next puppy. When I'm planning a litter, I put the word out, and start taking names.

Dani Costes
However, if you breed, you dont just get a pup. Usually you get around 5 to 8 puppies. What are you going to do with the rest if you only plan to keep a pup or two. Thats why a breeder should consider the demand as well along with the target pup.

Dani, the more you breed, the better chance you will have of coming up with the best dogs.

The most successful breeders do not get this way by breeding one or two litters a year and keeping only one or two puppies at a time. The more you breed (to outside studs) the better your chances are of getting top winners. You have to run on a few dogs from each litter and see how they grow up. Those you don't run on will go to pet homes for which there is a demand. As long as you have a demand for those pets, there is no reason to breed in a larger volume as well as make a few extra $$ in the process.