Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No family visits until after pups are 4 weeks of age

Do you agree? If so why or why not?

Some people will not agree to puppy until they see it. I tell them I pick the puppy not them.

Anyone have visits earlier than 4 weeks? I am just not comfortable with that. I am not going to up mom.

Re: No family visits until after pups are 4 weeks of age

Absolutely not, and I do not allow puppy visits until 5 weeks. In addition, no one sees the puppies unless they have already given me a deposit. If I still have puppies available after they are born, they can come meet me, meet the mom, meet my other dogs, and that should be enough to make a decision if they want one of my puppies. I tell people all puppies are cute, but your decision to leave a deposit should be based on if you like the breeder and the adult dogs. If they do not agree then they are not someone I would wish to deal with anyway.

Unless I already know the person well (and there are no children involved), I tell people not until after 5 wks. I actually don't feel there is a lot to see until closer to 6 wks as they are sleeping an awful lot up to that point, so it's such a little snapshot in time to see. I do a litter diary to appease folks in the meantime, but this way I don't have mom getting stressed while she's still actively nursing, I can concentrate on getting them solid to the potty pool, and on solid food. And I don't have to deal w/ little kids dropping puppies or playing too rough w/ them since the families willing to wait seem to have MUCH better behaved kids.

The only thing that really scares me is Parvo. Anything else is easily treated. The puppies most susceptible time to parvo is after 6 weeks and until they have several puppy busters. I do not allow visits after the puppies are 6 weeks old. Only the pick up day adn everybody gets purell.
I don't allow visits the first week, but that is more for the mom and for myself.

I depend on visitors to socialize my puppies and especially welcome visits from children. But only a few of my visitors are puppy buyers- most are colleagues from work who do not have dogs themselves or have only a pet or two and don't take them anywhere where they can become infected. They are instructed not to take the dog to the dog park if they want to visit the puppies and to wash their hands. I don't have visitors for the first week. My girls have never seemed to be distressed about visitors, children must be sitting on the floor before they hold a puppy and are watched carefully. I have been doing this for 25 years and have never had an illness that could be traced back to a puppy buyer. In fact, except for coccidiosis, I have not had any sick puppies for several decades. I have had two or three visits from people who pretended to be interested in a puppy and turned out to be taking advantage of free entertainment, but in 25 years I figure I can live with it. And, since i don't breed often, most of my buyers are not total strangers; they are repeat customers or people who know another past puppy buyer.

no visits here till they pick them up, end of the story, I take weekly pictures and email it to them they are NOT protected until 2 weeks AFTER their last shot

If you're not comfortable with visitors prior to 4 weeks,then it doesn't matter what anyone does. You'll find people who agree and disagree with you. Doesn't make any difference. You do what you feel is best for you and your bitch.

Donna
Do you agree? If so why or why not?

Some people will not agree to puppy until they see it. I tell them I pick the puppy not them.

Anyone have visits earlier than 4 weeks? I am just not comfortable with that. I am not going to up mom.

How do you take deposits and make the people wait to see the puppy at eight weeks especially over the internet with the new laws? Most people do want to see their puppy or see how you and your dogs live.
How do you pick the puppy for the people?
My last litter people drove as much as 7 hours to see the puppy in order to purchase a puppy from me because of the USDA laws. I am under 4 females and don't need to give away more money to the Government.
I would love this information and to have some of the weekends to ourselves! Can they make a deposit without seeing the puppy and pick up at eight weeks if you offer to refund the deposit?

Extensive interview over the phone with all pertinent questions.

Vet reference to check to see if they do right by dogs they have or had in the past. Follow up visits for specific issues, yearly check up etc.

Explain the reason for not allowing visits is for the sake of the pups health, that some breeders have lost entire litters to parvo, etc. Most people hear that and completely understand your rules.

You will email weekly with pics as pups grow.

If they are OK with that and they meet your criteria for a pup they can mail you a deposit, knowing if you do not have a pup for them (I get most deposits prior to whelp) you will send their check back.

I offer references from past buyers either via email or phone number.

If they are not comfortable with pics only than they don't get one of my pups.

I will allow visits prior to the breeding so folks can see my dogs and where pups are raised.

My pups. my rules.

I choose the pup by the age of the buyer, if they have children, what their lifestyle is. Docile pups go to family with kids or older adults, better structured pups for people that eventually want to hike, etc., rambunctious pups to younger adults with no kids. There are many things to consider when matching your pups with the buyer.

I don't want to hijack this thread so will post later with some questions. The answers given though were great about keeping people away from the puppies.

I make them wear socks from me and gloves at 5-6 weeks or put their shoes in bleach water and wear sterile gloves. They are also not allowed to bring their other dog if they have one and are not to go to the dog parks before coming.

Telling them not to go to dog parks or other breeders before they come to your house........ I don't trust strangers enough to not lie just for the sake of seeing a litter of pups.

Not worth them bringing parvo or something else onto my property.

Breeder
The only thing that really scares me is Parvo. Anything else is easily treated. The puppies most susceptible time to parvo is after 6 weeks and until they have several puppy busters. I do not allow visits after the puppies are 6 weeks old. Only the pick up day adn everybody gets purell.
I don't allow visits the first week, but that is more for the mom and for myself.

I live in an area that has had a lot of parvo. For that reason, at 5 wks, I am using Neopar vaccine. I give a first combo (Nobivac, proven 100% protective by 12 wks) at 7 to 7.5 wks and recommend at least 2 more after that. So far, so good. For those of you worried about Parvo, this would save you a lot of worry, imo.

In reality, I figure I bring it in on my shoes, my car tires, etc., from some of my work sites. My big dogs probably pick it up on their offlead walks. My visitors are probably the least of my concerns.

breeder2
How do you take deposits and make the people wait to see the puppy at eight weeks especially over the internet with the new laws? Most people do want to see their puppy or see how you and your dogs live.
How do you pick the puppy for the people?
My last litter people drove as much as 7 hours to see the puppy in order to purchase a puppy from me because of the USDA laws. I am under 4 females and don't need to give away more money to the Government.
I would love this information and to have some of the weekends to ourselves! Can they make a deposit without seeing the puppy and pick up at eight weeks if you offer to refund the deposit?

People can put deposits down sight unseen, but you need to have the new owner, the puppy, and you at the same location when they take possession of the puppy. Most of my new owners see their puppies for the first time when they come to pick it up, but that same puppy was spoken for with a deposit months in advance. If you are under 4 females, it doesn't matter that you sell sight unseen anyway.

Long time breeder
no visits here till they pick them up, end of the story, I take weekly pictures and email it to them they are NOT protected until 2 weeks AFTER their last shot

Not cool. These puppies are not socialized properly and there is a good chance a service organization might not even take them. Anyone smart enough should go elsewhere.

no thanks
Long time breeder

Not cool. These puppies are not socialized properly and there is a good chance a service organization might not even take them. Anyone smart enough should go elsewhere.

You don't know squat about how my pups are socialized, I have nieces and nephews that come and play with them when they get older not that it's any of your business.... my pups owners are ALWAYS happy with the pups they get from me, never had one returned ever and that's because I raise them right and I breed not just for looks but temperment, don't like hyper dogs and breed for nice clam temperments