Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weeding through buyers politely

Thank you for all of the input on my other post. Worked great by just educating. Guess people just don't know.

Another concern I have is how do you tell someone that I don't have a puppy for them? I have sent questionnaire. Then she sends me questionnaire. No problem. Telling me once she is satisfied with my answers she will get one of my puppies. Excuse me? She seems to want assurance that the pup will live a long life. No issues. I do testing and choose stud carefully. Advise the way to raise a pup. What more can I do? I just find there are some people you just don't want to deal with. This is one. I like a relationship after with my buyers. How do you politely say I don't want to deal with you?
Never had to do this before in all the years.

Any input appreciated.

Donna

Re: Weeding through buyers politely

Just tell her, "sorry, but I don't think one of my pups would be a good fit for you." and leave it at that. You could even suggest some other breeders that you feel might match her personality better (if there are any).

I don't do a questionnaire, rather ask folks to write me a little about themselves, their lifestyles, etc, and what they are looking for in a Lab not only in personality but energy and function (ie, plans to hunt, do competition,etc). I find I get more info about a person faster this way. I tell them I want to place the right puppy w/ the right home and that's the truth. I tell them I have a wait list (which is the truth), also tell them I reserve first picks of the litter, so that's another out if I get the feeling maybe the person may be difficult.

I have had more than the normal number of folks call this past year (not email as I ask, and I do let them know WHY I like/need the info in email form) and press for health, etc history on my pups-- "knees" seem to be a big problem w/ some of these, and they are convinced the breeder was at fault, yet of course they spayed/neutered early w/ their last one, probably did not exercise consistently, etc.. Many also seem very concerned about living situations (want to see my "facility", lol... my house, I ask??) and press about breeding. This seems to be a new trend in recent years. I guess that's their prerogative too...

If I think someone is not a good fit, I too refer them onward to our club listings. I think that's only fair.

Put a clause on your web site:

________ Labradors is a hobby, not a business. (Owner/breeder) retains the final decision as to whether or not a puppy will be made available to any individual or family for any reason.

It is your choice as the breeder to decide where your pups go.

You can talk on the phone forever to the most wonderful people to have them show up at your home with kids that are completely out of control and you realize this is not the right family (for any of your pups).

Give them back their deposit check and move on.

This is one reason I do not cash deposit checks. once cashed some states see that as a contract of sale.

If you have not cashed it you are good to go.

I never take deposits. I have people come over when the puppies are about 5 weeks old. I tell them if we are all happy with each other & the puppies, I will take a deposit at that time. They know that it is not a done deal until I take the deposit.

Say It LIke It Is

________ Labradors is a hobby, not a business. (Owner/breeder) retains the final decision as to whether or not a puppy will be made available to any individual or family for any reason.

I like this, though wouldn't refer to myself as "owner" since it's not a business.

I have a spot on my questionnaire where they have to acknowledge that they realize just because they fill out a questionnaire, it does not mean they will end up with one of my puppies. They need to check that off or the questionnaire doesn't come through.

I also have a spot on mine that asks if it's ok if I pass their information onto another breeder if I don't have a puppy for them.

windycanyon
Say It LIke It Is

I like this, though wouldn't refer to myself as "owner" since it's not a business.

I meant insert your name in the parenthesis.