Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bark collars

What do you all think about bark collars? Are there any brands that have worked for you?

Re: Bark collars

My opinion is that they promote aggression. JMO. I also never tell my dogs to shut up. Let me tell you something else ... let's say your house is on fire. Don't you want the dogs to bark as an alert? What if you're sleeping and your house is on fire. I would want my dogs to bark so loud that you can hear them across the country. You need to re-think this. I can give you many more examples but, I'll stop at the fire.

A much better solution is to train the dog to respond to a "quiet" command. You can teach the "speak" command first because it is easier( he already likes to bark, I take it). After he will speak on command reliably, then you can teach the "quiet" command so that when he barks and you want him to know that is enough, you can "turn it off".

Dear Trainer,
Help! I have a dog that's a driving me bonkers! Do you have a video of how to do this. Can you explain a bit more on how to train for this?
I just bought a bark collar and haven't used it. I was afraid it will short out and shock the dog to death or she would jump in the water and short it out.
Sincerely,
Sleepless

Trainer
A much better solution is to train the dog to respond to a "quiet" command. You can teach the "speak" command first because it is easier( he already likes to bark, I take it). After he will speak on command reliably, then you can teach the "quiet" command so that when he barks and you want him to know that is enough, you can "turn it off".

Trainer??? Teach "speak"? This is a good example of internet advice that you should NOT follow.

Teaching the command "Speak" is a useful command. Dogs used in television, advertising and motion pictures have a wide repertoire of commands, including "speak". You can teach this command using a verbal cue and/ or hand signal. Once the dog recognizes and responds to the command he is much more controllable for the action. Teaching the "quiet" command is the the next step in being able to control his actions. You certainly do not have to teach it if you do not want to., but to make such a silly comment displays ignorance. "Speaking" on command was also once one of the standard obedience exercises required for earning an AKC obedience title.

Get a behaviorist to help you. Cesar Millan is not a behaviorist.

I use the "speak" command on the way to a reliable "quiet" command as well. Don't knock it until you try it, it works!

I, too, have captured the "Speak" command. It worked on a Canaan Dog. I put it on a "talk, talk" hand signal, like a hand puppet talking. Then I added a "hush" command, then a "thank you, hush," as she needed acknowledgement of her alert or of doing her job. She was the smartest dog I ever owned, but also a bit of a challenge. The Thank You worked. That, plus a head halter and long line to help m get a little distance the first week, made life fun with a dog whose motto was "I bark, therefore I am." Is Sister's dog barking at comings and goings, or because he is under exercised, tied out or separated from folks? Monsignor had a rescued Lab from us that went everywhere, although he lay in the rectory or sacristy during most masses.

The one rescue on which I used a bark collar, decades ago, seized when it went off. A few days of that on a dog who had not seized before, and we threw it out.

I know a show dog, not a Lab, whose neck is burned by barking, then screeching when zapped by the collar. I also knew a Lab who did that. The collars can NOT be left on 24 hours a day or the prongs wear out the skin on the neck, even on a Lab, or hot spots develop under the collar.

OTH, used properly, they made life bearable for the neighbors of a field bred rescued Lab who loved to hear his own voice. He played ball, had companions, and did agility, so he did have enough to do. He just liked to bark about it! He could do that on the agility field, and he even showed in obedience at the LRC, getting a first place in his class. He had learned that he could move without barking.

If you must get the barking under control, try exercise and basic obedience, something to tire his mind as well as his body, then add the "Speak" command, then the "Hush." You will also need a release for each command.

If you do get a bark collar, please still follow the other directions first. Dogs bark. They are not cats. Also, don't get the cheapest thing, and get someone to show you how to use it. They are easy to abuse, and illegal in many countries.

Thank you all for these posts and especially the Trainer for the first post here! I tried it and the bad dog doesn't bark as much and loves the kind "good girl" for barking and being quiet. It has quieted down and we slept through the night!

The funny thing was the quiet older dog barked with glee her whole body wagging. I then immediately praised her for the quiet and she was very happy. They love it and think it's a game.

TY,TY Very much!