Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help Please - Older dog issue in rear

Looking for some input from breeders.
My friend has a 10 year old dog that is very hyper sensitive on the top of her rear. She also is uncoordinated on her rear having trouble going up steps and on the hardwood floors.
She is typically a strong dog and this issue that is showing in the rear has the vet and my friend puzzled.

Please if you can suggest what it might be or you have any experience with this type of thing we would be grateful for your help.

Re: Help Please - Older dog issue in rear

I have an old guy who developed the same problem. X-rays were done and he has essentially what amounts to kissing spines. He does pretty well at the age of 13 without constant medication. But when it starts to bother him a course of Deramaxx and muscle relaxants make him a lot more comfortable.

We had to invest in a lot of rubber-backed throw rugs but he manages ok.

Good luck to your friend!!!

Are the steps carpeted? If not I would do that or at least put down carpet treads. I had to do that in upstate NY for my old girl and it made all the difference on the steep stairs to go up and down to the bedroom.

I got the treads real cheap at home depot. Like $20 to do all the stairs.

As for the rest of the house they may need carpet runners thru out for the dog to feel more secure.

Its hard when they get old and we often have to change things in the home to help them.

Hoping they find what works.

My MH dog was always sensitive about having his tail handled and started having trouble walking in the rear. I took him to the vet school for a neurological exam, X-rays, MRI ands it turns out he had several herniated disks. He had surgery, very. Expensive and scary, as there was a possibility he would not be able to walk after the surgery. Now, about 9 months later, he is running and climbing stairs, even jumping into his crate in the car. He'll probably never run in MH tests again, and his show career is over, but he is leading a normal life again. If your dog is losing function in the rear, it might be a good idea to see a neurologist

Sounds like a typical case of spondylosis. The vet should have diagnosed that easily with an x-ray of the spine.

Isn't 10 years a little young for such an advanced case of spondylosis? I wouldn't expect to have a dog losing control in the rear until they are 12 or 13.

Peggy Stevens
Isn't 10 years a little young for such an advanced case of spondylosis? I wouldn't expect to have a dog losing control in the rear until they are 12 or 13.

My first champion developed this at about 10 years of age. He was stiff, slow to rise and finally couldn't get up. My vet had diagnosed him with spinal spondylosis after x-rays.

As for the OP, it does sound like something neurological. I'd recommend x-rays as a start.

A grand daughter of my CH I have now is just over 10 and has displayed restricted movement on her front and later it spread to her rear. At first acupuncture and homeopathic treatments resulted in no significant improvement. X-rays revealed problems in her c-spine, pressing in on her spinal cord. Surgery, MRI's may help the problem, but at her age, we just decided to try prednisolone. She is 110% better just on pred alone.

Hope this helps.

Peggy Stevens

Sadly, I have seen spondylosis at 5 years of age.