Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Old Dog" Vestibular Disease

Had to take my old girl into the vet last night because I thought she was having a stroke or the good Lord only knows what, vet diagnosed her with this "Old Dog" Vestibular Disease, gave meds for motion sickness and said it should pass in a few days, any advice out there how I can help to make her feel better? OMG it is heartbreaking to see my sweetheart suffering with this, she keeps falling cause no balance :{

Re: "Old Dog" Vestibular Disease

If she is mobile enough to use a crate, a vet told me to crate my girl while it was bad so that she had walls to lean on, as mine had no idea which end was up. The crate helped her orient in space, which helped her nausea and rolling. An ex-pen would NOT have worked, and she would have gotten tangled in it. I found locking her in a crate helped her: she wasn't used to having the door closed except when riding in the van, but she was grateful for the security of the crate. Also, if she rolls, use a harness to help her in and out to go potty, and if you must carry her, put hands under at least a paw to give her a feel of which end is down. A Bonine or two a day made a huge difference. I also had to feed her a slurry of baby food meat and baby food cereal, hand fed, as a way to get calories and liquid into her. I also used nutri drops, as if whelping, in small amounts. She could not eat or drink otherwise. I think I also gave her some Pepcid. Check that she can have pepcid with the Meclizine or antivertigo meds, as I am not sure of that.

She lost a lot of weight but regained it with her mobility. Best wishes to you and your girl.

Charlotte K.
If she is mobile enough to use a crate, a vet told me to crate my girl while it was bad so that she had walls to lean on, as mine had no idea which end was up. The crate helped her orient in space, which helped her nausea and rolling. An e-pen would NOT have worked, and she would have gotten tangled in it. I found locking her in a crate helped her: she wasn't used to having the door closed except when riding in the van, but she was grateful for the security of the crate. Also, if she rolls, use a harness to help her in and out to go potty, and if you must carry her, put hands under at least a paw to give her a feel of which end is down. A Bonine or two a day made a huge difference. I also had to feed her a slurry of baby food meat and baby food cereal, hand fed, as a way to get calories and liquid into her. I also used nutrical, small amounts. She could not eat or drink otherwise. I think I also gave her some Pepcid.

Thank you for the info, she does "fall over" but if I bait her with pupperoni's she will follow me (falling several times on the way out to go potty) Not strong enough to carry her :{ she weighs 78lbs. She can eat if she is laying down and drink water, I am "serving" her,...... what is a Bonnie?

Our old girl had it once, as did my brother's old Weimaraner. It is scary to see. I have also personally had the human version (twice), an inner ear "vestibulitis" and it is awful. I think we used meclazine for dogs and me. I suggest using a crate with two doors - easier to get the dog out if you need to help her. All cases here passed in a few days.

Bonine = Antivert = meclizine, to treat dizziness.

Your girl sounds as though she has a milder case than mine did.

Charlotte K.
Bonine = Antivert = meclizine, to treat dizziness.

Your girl sounds as though she has a milder case than mine did.

Thank you for that info, she is on this stuff 3x a day every 8 hours maybe that's why she's not so bad?

Thank you Beth for that encouragement, was reading the web and some say it takes weeks for it to go away, I hate seeing her fall like this it makes me want to cry

I have a 14 year old who is suffering from vestibular disease for the second time. Last fall she recovered from her first episode in about a week, walking well, climbing stairs, and jumping onto the bed. This second time around she has not recovered much in six weeks, still holds her head way to one side and has trouble maintaining a straight line. Fortunately it has not affected her appetite. What is the dosage for bonine and is it indicated if they are eating well? I was told to try Claritan, but didn't see any improvement with it. My girl is still going on our daily walks to the end of the field, at least 1/2 mile on a mowed path. She loses me if she gets too far behind, and I have to go back, call her, and wave my arms so that she sees me, but I think she is better off having some physical activity. We walk slowly. At first I was hand feeding her, risking being bitten because she wasn't able to control where she grabbed the food. But she has improved to where she can eat from her dish without my help. She does not want to climb the stairs, and i haven't pushed the issue.

I was spared a lot of anxiety because I had read about vestibular disease on the web - possibly on this list serve - so I knew what was happening. Otherwise I would also have thought she was having a stroke.

Peggy Stevens
I have a 14 year old who is suffering from vestibular disease for the second time. Last fall she recovered from her first episode in about a week, walking well, climbing stairs, and jumping onto the bed. This second time around she has not recovered much in six weeks, still holds her head way to one side and has trouble maintaining a straight line. Fortunately it has not affected her appetite. What is the dosage for bonine and is it indicated if they are eating well? I was told to try Claritan, but didn't see any improvement with it. My girl is still going on our daily walks to the end of the field, at least 1/2 mile on a mowed path. She loses me if she gets too far behind, and I have to go back, call her, and wave my arms so that she sees me, but I think she is better off having some physical activity. We walk slowly. At first I was hand feeding her, risking being bitten because she wasn't able to control where she grabbed the food. But she has improved to where she can eat from her dish without my help. She does not want to climb the stairs, and i haven't pushed the issue.

I was spared a lot of anxiety because I had read about vestibular disease on the web - possibly on this list serve - so I knew what was happening. Otherwise I would also have thought she was having a stroke.

So sorry your girl is going through this too and oh my poor baby for a seconde time too :{, my girl is also almost 14 (Oct baby, 2000 model) Dosage for the Meclizine is 25 mg 3x a day, they also sell this as motion sickness pills from what i'm reading on the web OTC... prayers your girl gets over it totally

Long time breeder
Had to take my old girl into the vet last night because I thought she was having a stroke or the good Lord only knows what, vet diagnosed her with this "Old Dog" Vestibular Disease, gave meds for motion sickness and said it should pass in a few days, any advice out there how I can help to make her feel better? OMG it is heartbreaking to see my sweetheart suffering with this, she keeps falling cause no balance :{
One of my girls had it from age 11 to 15. It did get better and does resemble a stroke sometimes initially. Be glad your vet knew what it was, some don't. With some rest and time it should get better. For now, it is a pitiful sight. I am sorry for what you're seeing. I've been there but she did get better.

This happens to people even more often age 50 and upward. They call it vertigo but it's the same thing. My brother has it on and off in his 50's quite suddenly. The same for a friend in her late 50's, it came out of nowhere.

Same for the dogs but it can get better. Meclizine or Antivert can help. Discuss medications with your vet. http://www.vetinfo.com/meclizine-for-dogs.html

I hope you see improvement soon.