Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentinel??

I've used Heartgard for years for our Labs, but my vet is switching to Sentinel at their practice. I researched Sentinel and I see it prevents flea reproduction in addition to protecting from various types of worms. Can anyone share their experiences with this product? For those of you who use it have you seen any adverse reactions, side effects, etc.? There are some older posts about it on this forum from a few years ago but I'm wondering if anyone has newer information to add. TIA!!

Re: Sentinel??

If you have breeding bitches, the safety studies are iffy. You can see them here: http://www.sentinelpet.com/media/pdf/spectrum_product_insert.pdf Heartguard and Frontline Plus have good data. As does Interceptor Spectrum (though you can't get in the US). Lufenuron (flea control) accumulates in the fat. Safety studies are done, but my vet is hesistant because of that and potential long term effects of accumulation. There are so many options out there, for my guys I choose something else. If I had a spayed/neutered pet, I probably wouldn't think twice.

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!

Repro vet recommended only heart guard (plus is fine) for HW and fipronil only products for fleas. I have Sentinel that covers HW , other worms, and tapeworms- fleas also. I will not be using that in pregnant and nursing bitches. Has not been tested for safety in pregnant and nursing dogs, I won't test it on mine.