Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cruciate Surgery Advice Needed

One of my girls partially tore her CCL (cranial cruciate ligament) and we are doing surgery in a few days. I am looking at two surgery options, TPLO or a newer surgery TightRope CCL. TightRope CCL developed in 2005, not as invasive as TPLO ( TPLO involves circular bone cut at top of tibia so joint surface leveled out to prevent forward slipping of join. Plate and screws used to stabilize bone during healing) TIghtRope CCl is minimally invasion and improved method to stabilize the CCL. Does not require cutting of bone, instead small holes are drilled in the femur and tibia to pass a synthetic ligament-like biomaterial Kevlar, that is used extensively in human orthopedic surgery, through small incisions to provide bone to bone stabilization during healing. But there is no long term info available from the TightRope surgery that looks at arthritis issue, if more or less than TPLO surgery. I have to make a tough decision here, can those of you that have done TPLO or RightRope CCl please share your thoughts and experiences on the outcome of surgery on your dogs? back to normal active life? soundness? pain management? Thank you all so much

Heidi, please email me privately.

Heidi,
I ended up doing a TTA on my guy after researching procedures and vets. If you go with the Tightorpe, please know that
bone tunneling can be a problem with the anchors. It is more fragile at the beginning than TPLO, although all the procedures require strict supervision and restrictions - no running, jumping, spinning, etc. NOTHING but slow potty walks.
Ask your surgeon how many procedures he has performed whichever one you choose. How many issues has he had with infection? If you don't feel comfortable with him, walk away and find someone else.
There is a terrific Yahoo group on Facebook called Orthodogs. Ask to join that. Lots of wonderful people with lots of experience.
Good luck. It's scary but so worth it in the end.
Good luck.