Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Asking for Stud service

I'm a newbie. I've titled dogs in obedience and have shown conformation a little, the best we've done is Reserve. Occasionally when I've e-mailed for stud service, I'll get no reply. The kennels I've e-mailed don't list phone numbers. Sometimes I've even talked with the owners at a show in the past, but they must not remember me or don't want to give service? I do all clearances and seldom breed. I really want to improve my lines and cannot do that without breeding out of my own kennel. I don't always want to use dogs from the really big kennels which service anyone with clearances. Is giving no response to stud service requests common when you are an unknown newbie?

Re: Asking for Stud service

I have had the no response several times myself. I have learned a few things along the way. The first thing is that many breeders have busy schedules like everyone else, and it takes time to get back to you. The other thing is most breeders get 100's of emails a week, and some times cant answer them fast enough. There is also the occasion were they may not want to deal with you if they don't know you?! If I don't get an answer via email, then I will call the breeder. If all else fails, then there's many other stud dog owners who will be happy to assist you. Best of luck!

WC

I've had better luck contacting people through Facebook than email.

I have often found e-mail messages in my spam folder and since I seldom check my spam folder, there are sometimes hundreds of messages in there when I do (99.9% spam). I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this happen. Could your e-mails be getting lost or shuffled into someone's spam folder? I may be optimistic (I tend to be that way) but I don't think most don't answer on purpose. I myself try to field puppy/stud inquiries etc several times a week.

Though perhaps as more an more breeders of disqualifying colors (silver and the like) are uncovered, stud dog owners are also becoming more and more suspicious of breeders without a long and ethical track record in breeding and showing?

If you are serious about using a particular dog, call the owner again if you haven't heard back in a reasonable amount of time. And then call again. And then have a back up dog in your mind. Most stud dog owners are very accommodating and are happy to know that someone is interested in using their dog.

Emails are not the best, but what is in your emails?????

I have a bitch that will be in season the end of next month????? Here is her picture and a copy of her pedigree????? You can find all her clearances on the OFA database????? Probably not.

Why do I think your emails may not give the stud dog owner any idea who your are or anything about your bitch. The stud dog owner needs to have some real reason for getting back to you. Lots of newbie bitch owners send out lots of emails and simply want to chat. That can get old pretty fast and stud dog owners may disregard what does not seem like a serious inquiry. Plus if you are truly interested you need to be persistent.

Thankfully the most recent stud owner did eventually get back to me. I was sending all clearances in one e-mail, and since I do cardiac, EIC, etc., it was too large and went into spam. So I learned a lesson there. Thanks for all the responses, I've learned several things. I'm not super chatty, but maybe too chatty in trying to explain who I am, what we do, and that I sell on limited, etc. Thanks again for the responses.

It works both ways. Nothing annoys me more than bitch owner who writes me about boy. Tells me she hasn't heard back from the stud owner she was going to go with and that her bitch is in heat now and wants to breed to my boy. Drop everything, get back to this person ASAP and wanting more information. Crickets.

I don't care if she changed her mind or the first stud dog worked out, but please common courtesy would be to let me know.

I do check my spam folder often and nothing back. I just felt I wasted my time on a newbie. She is the reason many stud dog owners don't bother to reply. They'd rather just work with experienced breeders.