Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help! Sick Puppy!

I have been breeding for 15 years and have never seen this before. I have 1 week old puppies who have been doing excellent. No issues at all. This morning one of the puppies is somewhat lifeless. Not like a fading puppy, but definitely not right. Her belly is very full. They are all getting tons of milk. She feels almost bloated, so I rubbed her belly and eventually she let out sime very liquidy diarrhea. She had no issues prior to yhis. Any ideas of what could be wrong or what I should do for her?

Re: Help! Sick Puppy!

Check her gums. Are they still pink? LIfeless but breathing.......Pinch the skin and see if it bounces back quickly. If not, see if you could possibly get some sub-Q's or electrolytes in her. The distended belly......is she peeing? Have you been able to get her to poop anymore? And naturally, try to find a vet.

She did poop the watery poop again while i rubbed her belly. The sub-q fluids seem to be helping. I didn't think she was dehydrated because they are all such porkers, but she was somewhat dehydrated based on the amount of fluids her body quickly absorbed. I'll keep after her with fluids and hopefully she will pull through. There aren't too many options for a vet where i live on a Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

You might want to get her looked ay ASAP. Could be an inversion of the intestines

Keep trying to make her poop. Put her butt under warm running water, and rub a wash cloth across her anus to stimulate a bowl movement. She may be a little intolerant to mamas milk.
Good luck.