Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
no puppies seen in x-ray

Long story short: I have a girl that's due to whelp tomorrow. She was bred three times and was progesterone tested so everything should have gone fine. I noticed she was very small but since she's been nesting and has milk, I just figured she was going to have a small litter. However, my vet did x-rays yesterday and said she's having a false pregnancy. I believe him but part of me is wondering if I should still be on alert just in case... Has anyone ever had a singleton that wasn't found in an x-ray?

Re: no puppies seen in x-ray

I would definetely be on alert, xrays are not fool proof, a puppy could have been hiding. You could pull a progesterone test to see if she is going into labor or maybe try a sonogram instead of xray to see if you can detect a heartbeat.

We have never had a singleton not show up- in our experience, when there has been a singleton, it is a larger than normal pup and no way it could be missed.

Never missed a singleton, or small litter, with an x ray yet. BTW - if you haven't already, you may want to check her thyroid and do cultures to find out why she missed.

A good thing about ultrasounds is, if you get a miss it's a good time to do another progesterone check to help figure out what went wrong.