Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dog Service Fees

It has been many years since I have had a stud dog but am now back in the game! I know most use service fees now. What do you consider the service fee to cover? Your time, shipping, supplies, etc.? Or does the bitch owner also pay for these? What about if you are out of town when someone needs a shipment and your repro vet needs to collect and ship? Would this charge be considered part of the service fee or do they pay a service fee and the vet charges? I'm just trying to understand so that my services are considered comparable to most. Thanks

Re: Stud Dog Service Fees

I charge $200 for my time and experience. All other costs are the responsibility of the bitch owner. I collect my own stud dog, extend the semen, evaluate the semen, pack the boxes and send to the bitch owner. They pay for the extender, boxes (or they send their own to me), and shipping. I prefer that the bitch owner have a Fed Ex account as this makes shipping super easy. If the bitch takes, then I deduct the service fee from the total of the stud fee ($1000). I guarantee 2 live whelps. If there are no puppies or only 1, then I simply charge another service fee for my time again or they are free to go elsewhere. If I had to pay someone to collect and ship my boys if I am not home, that would be the bitch owner's responsibility as well.

I wanted to use a boy years ago, but the breeder was not able to collect her own boy. She wanted $300 per shipment just for the collection by the vet and wanted the stud fee upfront. I went with another boy.

Good luck and welcome back to wonderful world of stud dogs