Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lepto vaccination

Does anyone vaccinate for this anymore? A friend lives in Texas (another breed, not labs) and got his pup vaccinated today at 12 weeks with the 7 in 1 (Vanguard) w/Lepto. Pup is VERY lethargic and achy.

Re: lepto vaccination

12 weeks is too young for the first Lepto vaccine. Label is for no younger than 16 weeks.

I do vaccinate with the Vanguard vaccine annually. Lepto is an issue, contrary to popular belief. The Vanguard product is the only one proven to have duration of a year with challenge studies. All others are only six months. The reaction rate, when given properly, for this particular vaccine is really low. I give it twice as a single antigen, after they are done with their series. When they are due for their three year dhlpp, they get it in combo with that. Vanguard again. Low reactions.

If you have mice, moles, deer, raccoons, possums and other warm blooded wildlife near you, there is Lepto present. The current fallacy is if you don't travel all over the place you don't need the vaccine. Dogs in urban and suburban areas are actually more at risk.

Lepto is tough to diagnosis as it mimics other diseases. In my neck of the woods, until recently, dogs died from it as it wasn't diagnosed until too late.

Sue Puff

I forgot to say, CALL ZOETIS! Their veterinary support team is phenomenal and will help with this. They want to know about these things. If the vet won't call, I would.

Here is the support teams website.

https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/vmips2.aspx

Sue Puff

I am not sure that age is true Sue but I'm w/ you, I don't vaccinate for lepto til ~16-17 wks, after I'm thru w/ the core combo vaccines.

Just looked at my box of L-4 and no, the label reads: "VANGUARD L4 is for vaccination of healthy dogs 6 weeks of age or older as an
aid in preventing leptospirosis caused by Leptospira canicola, L. grippotyphosa,...."
Anne

Straight from the manufacture's site is good for 6 weeks of age and up.
https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/vanguard-plus-5-l4.aspx

I use this product at 13 weeks, 16 weeks and 6 months and I then vaccinate with it annually. While a reaction is possible in any dog I have never had a reaction using this product. Next time I'd give this puppy benadryl before vaccination.

Yup! My fault. I don't start to give Lepto until 16 weeks. That recommendation was based on my vets vaccine protocol which separated the antigens. Either way, the reaction should be called in to Zoetis.

Sue

7 in 1 vaccination is crazy and unnecessary. Any component of the vaccine could cause a reaction not just lepto. I hope you and your friend research minimal vaccinations and the dangers of over vaccination.
Click here> vaccination guidlines
and here> Texas guidelines

I chose to not vaccinate for Lepto, due to all the controversy, and lo and behold, one of my older boys has now been diagnosed…but I question the diagnosis. He had a "spell" a year ago, we though it neurological and he improved so fast.
Then we just did a routine blood panel and found he has Lymes (about 2 mos ago)…so we treated for that for a month with doxycycline…now they did another test this week and say its Lepto…I hate when my vet seems so inept…now they want him on Amox for another month. His kidneys have been affected…does anyone have some light they could shed on this for me? He's otherwise a happy, healthy, 8 year old who acts like he's three, and seems to have more play in him than ever, but I'm so concerned for my baby boy :(
They are doing a urinalysis this week.

I think the doxy should have knocked it out. A positive test for Lepto can be seen with vaccination and exposure too. I don't think a "routine blood panel" will show Lyme, make sure you know what tests they are doing and research them. Good luck.

This is a very thorough article that could help:
http://www.2ndchance.info/leptospirosis.htm

We had a Lepto outbreak 2 years in our area around a lake surrounded by pricey homes just 4 miles from me. I was so glad I had vaccinated for Lepto! We like to take a dog or 2 boating and swimming in that lake. I heard some dogs died at the time. I always vaccinate for Lepto and always will.

Our vet says if you are near any stagnant water, a lepto vaccine is extremely important. He says if you never have any stagnant water, it is not a critical vaccine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_stagnation
From the Wikipedia link;

Some plants prefer flowing water, while others, such as lotuses, prefer stagnant water.

Various anaerobic bacteria are commonly found in stagnant water. For this reason, pools of stagnant water have historically been used in processing hemp and some other fiber crops, as well as linden bark used for making bast shoes. Several weeks of soaking makes bast fibers easily separable due to bacterial and fermentative processes known as retting.

Denitrifying bacteria
Leptospira
Purple bacteria (both sulfur and non-sulfur)

Fish
Lepisosteidae (gar)
Northern snakehead fish
Pygmy gourami
Siamese fighting fish
Spotted barb
Walking catfish