Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone heard of this "injectible" for sterilization?

I got this email today from a customer today:

We live in long island. You guys all do such a great job with these dogs, I was wondering your opinion on the zeuterin. I would never do anything to hurt my doaks! When I spoke with my vet about neutering, he said that he wouldn’t be able to swim or play for 2 weeks. that would really put a damper on doak’s lifestyle! We meet other dogs every morning to play before he comes to work with me. and he swims every weekend, so I would hate to disrupt that routine. I think I will just forget about neutering for the time being. If you hear of anyone with experience with zeuterin, let me know
Thanks j*****.

Re: Has anyone heard of this "injectible" for sterilization?

I haven't heard of anyone I know using it yet. Just tell them to fix the dog when it's winter and it can't swim. It's not like there is a specific date you have to fix a dog...

Helen
I got this email today from a customer today:

We live in long island. You guys all do such a great job with these dogs, I was wondering your opinion on the zeuterin. I would never do anything to hurt my doaks! When I spoke with my vet about neutering, he said that he wouldn’t be able to swim or play for 2 weeks. that would really put a damper on doak’s lifestyle! We meet other dogs every morning to play before he comes to work with me. and he swims every weekend, so I would hate to disrupt that routine. I think I will just forget about neutering for the time being. If you hear of anyone with experience with zeuterin, let me know
Thanks j*****.

If they are that concerned about 2 weeks of no swimming, maybe they should look into whether they really need to neuter their dog at all. If he is not allowed to roam from his house and is supervised around other dogs, why neuter?

I can't imagine using Zueterin, purposefully injecting a bunch of zinc into a dog to set up inflammatory reaction, uuugh.

lol…that's what I told them, just do it in winter…DUH!!

Re: Has anyone heard of this \"injectible\" for sterilization?

breeder 2
lol…that's what I told them, just do it in winter…DUH!!

Is that how you speak to puppy buyers, with a "Duh"? Especially after what some of them spend? Nevermind, I don't need an answer.

Re: Has anyone heard of this \\\"injectible\\\" for sterilization?

It's painful. No anesthesia and sometimes the vet has to sedate the dog to do the injections if the dog doesn't cooperate. Shelters and spay/neuter fanatics love it.

Looked into it for my boy with hip dysplasia, was mortified, and went with surgical castration.

The drug was taken off the market for a while. Before recommending it, I would question why.

This is a question that should be taken seriously and with some compassion from people who obviously care deeply about their dog.

Re: Has anyone heard of this \\\"injectible\\\" for sterilization?

lol…the 'duh' was in my mind, Newark, NJ IP :)

Re: Has anyone heard of this \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"injecti

breeder 2
lol…the \'duh\' was in my mind, Newark, NJ IP :)
In your mind Columbia Crossroads, PA IP but you accidently typed it?

I own my post proudly with a Newark, NJ IP number. Are you proud of your recent sale of a chocolate bitch puppy for another $6,500 US or is the Labrador community hearing supposed untruths?

once again.

Re: Has anyone heard of this \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

$6,500? That's insane…that's like twice what I charge…boy, lucky person who can get THAT for a pup…lol..in my dreams.

Zeuterin can only be used in dogs less then 10 months old.

First off - the reason it was taken off the market is because they were selling it without training the vets on how to properly inject, and that was causing adverse events. The company ran out of funds as well. It wasn't because of some nefarious events. This information is publicly available and easy to find. Wish people would research before they speak. Now it is marketed only to vets who attend training for proper injection technique.

Secondly, it isn't only for dogs less than 10 months old. Its recommended for 3 to 10 month old dogs because thats when most dumb people neuter (too early). There has been no data or information conveying that an older dog can't be Zeutered.