Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Hip Dysplasia, Cornell, testing Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

I think that the Skeletal Dysplasia 2 is a clearance offered by Pawprint Genetics. I remember reading about it. It differs from the RD/OSD test done by Optigen in that this gene causes skeletal dysplasia with never any eye problems; it is a different gene.

The tests never end: except for the first thing we all started testing for, HD.

Dwarfism, was Hip Dysplasia, Cornell, testing Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

I have added a link to the Pawprint test at Website; I didn't find the European one yet.

Note that the mode of inheritance is Autosomal Recessive with Incomplete Penetrance. Different!

Swiss link on Skeletal Dysplasia 2, Dwarfism

See Website link below. Note photo. Food for thought.

Re: Swiss link on Skeletal Dysplasia 2, Dwarfism

Great topic for discussion! A Cocker breeder friend of mine posted a link to research that found the canine hip dysplasia gene in German Sheperds! I posted in to a breeder forum on Facebook earlier in the summer. Lengthy research article when you read the links. Not going to say I understand in all 100% but amazing research information!! Based on this research, if our breed club would donate to research to identify if the same gene is identifiable in Labradors would be very interesting and incredibly useful in developing a healthier breed.

Here is the Link:http://idw-online.de/de/news586117#
Maybe we could sticky this to the top so everyone would read it?
Drew

Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

I stumbled upon a blog a few weeks ago (dated January 2013), and it mentions: "Armed with this massive amount of data, researchers at the Department of Animal Science, China Agricultural University,Beijing, China developed an algorithm that accurately predicts CHD from genomic data."

Canine Hip Dysplasia Can Now Be Predicted At Birth By DNA
http://themodernbark.blogspot.com/2013/01/canine-hip-dysplasia-can-now-be.html

Does anyone know the time it took to actually get the test out to the public for EIC and PRA after research?

For EIC: Studies and sampling/pedigree analysis began in the late 1990's/early 2000's; the gene was found in July 2007 and test came out to the public in the fall of 2008.