Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
diabetic

I have an older dog who I thought maybe showed signs of diabetes, and had him tested last year, it was negative, Then this year he gained weight, not overweight, but pretty good weight, and then dropped weight suddenly. We did a blood panel again, and now it shows diabetic! what is going on? why did he not test positive before? why now?

Re: diabetic

DLS
I have an older dog who I thought maybe showed signs of diabetes, and had him tested last year, it was negative, Then this year he gained weight, not overweight, but pretty good weight, and then dropped weight suddenly. We did a blood panel again, and now it shows diabetic! what is going on? why did he not test positive before? why now?
I would do a full thyroid panel also to be sure it's diabetes without anything else. Being a diabetic Type II with on and off hypothyroidism, I did not test positive for Diabetes for 3 years after symptoms began. That included neuropathy in the feet and hands. It can be common in people to test negative for a while after symptomatic, maybe in dogs too. Otherwise, it could have been a Laboratory error.

Exhibitor,
Thanks! That is what this forum is all about. Knowledgeable people sharing information with others. I have not had this problem, but am filing your post if I should need to know about it in the future.

This is exactly what happened with my girl Mimi. She gained weight, felt punky, more thirst/urination. I tested her thyroid - it was normal. Tested for diabetes twice and everything was normal. Nine months later she dropped 15 lbs and was urinating more. Finally, she came back as being diabetic. My girl was in-tact when diagnosed and was later spayed when she was stable on insulin.

Coincidentally, I had a 2nd girl test positive for diabetes after 3wks of symptoms.

You might want to consider putting him on Hill's WD dog food. Comes as canned and dry. I have a ten year old girl that developed diabetes suddenly about 14 mos. ago. I had lots of problems keeping her glocose as even as I wanted so I decided to try the WD. Night and day!! Her blood glucose is rarely high, she feels good, weight is good, I am using about half as much insulin as before and best of all, her cataracts stopped progressing. I purchased an alphatrak2 veterinary glucose meter and that has helped keep her stable since I can check her glucose anytime I want. Easy to use and cheaper than lab fees, even if you are the vet. I have since put other diabetic dogs on WD with the same results.