Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many days for first Ultrasound?

Curious what the earliest folks have done a pregnancy ultrasound? Have any of you seen 0 early and then ended up with pups?

TIA? Thanks

Re: How many days for first Ultrasound?

30 days there really isn't any reason to do it earlier.

My repro vet likes 25 days from ovulation.

My vet says 28 days. Took my girl in then and there was nothing. She had 3 pups

I am hoping that is the case, small litter that did not show. I was only day 24, recommendation from Hutch but I have to question that early. Vet felt certain we should have seen something even that early.
Did you go back for another ultrasound or just watch and determine she was pregnant as the gestation progressed?

if you don't want to have another ultrasound you could do a relaxin pregnancy test.

I explored the relaxin but I don't breed enough to pay for the five tests and have them expire. More cost efficient for another ultrasound. Which I may end up doing. First one was at 24 days.

went back a week later and the 3 showed up on the ultrasound

Earliest Ultrasound
I explored the relaxin but I don't breed enough to pay for the five tests and have them expire. More cost efficient for another ultrasound. Which I may end up doing. First one was at 24 days.

If at 28 days it looks like there are no puppies, my vet will re-check with another ultra sound in another week. It's usually to the vet's benefit if there are puppies so no harm in asking if he'll take another look for you.

Lab Mom
went back a week later and the 3 showed up on the ultrasound

Congratulations. I think when doing u/s to determine pregnancy better to wait 2 - 3 extra days. You can still see well.

We don't know exactly when fertilization & implantation occurs with any bitch during any cycle. Saying day 28 or 30 isn't the case with every situation.

I rarely do u/s. I usually can tell if my girls are pregnant by 5 weeks. U/s can be costly, why throw out money on something some of us will know within 7 to 10 days?

There are also portable dopplers 4 sale on Ebay inexpensively. I don't know if you can hear fetal heartbeats that early but they're worth looking into.