Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HNPK test clear stud dogs

I am hoping to make a list for myself of HNPK test clear stud dogs. I have a girl who is affected TIA!

Re: HNPK test clear stud dogs

The only one I've seen post results is Julie at Montview. How prevalent is this in labs and at what age would you expect to see it? Anne

Anne from what I have read it becomes evident around 6 months to a year old, it is inherited as a monogenic autosomal recessive, so to be affected the offspring must inherit two copies of the mutation. OptiGen say that approximately 10% of the tested population carries at least one copy of the mutation. I have seen a couple of affected Labradors.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_hnpk_test.html

Shelley is right. It is a simple recessive and takes two to tango. Unfortunately it's more common then you think. It is relatively easy to deal with but can be challenging for puppy owners, extreme cases are painful. Luckily the Lab variant doesn't affect feet too. I have seen some pretty bad cases. I may have a mild one here now but am going to test just to see where it's coming from, though I alredy suspect.

Just something else to consider when choosing a mating. My main concern is for puppy owners that would have to deal with an extreme case.

Unfortunately, we can't create the perfect dog. Decisions just keep getting harder.

Sue Puff

There was a post on Facebook by Marylnne Frisbie too and a couple other dogs were clear.

GCH Shalimars The Animator
CH Summerlins Call of Duty
CH Legasea Call to the Post, JH
GCH Legasea Not In Kansas Anymore, JH

Carrie of Legasea said OFA is now listing results too. That's how i found out her dogs were clear. Maybe more people will test and release results on OFA now. I've seen some dogs at shows and wondered if dry nose was really HNPK. It will be interesting to find out what lines it is in. I know the European breeders test for it.

Who is a reliable testing lab for the condition? I see where Optigen is now licensed but others are advertising the test still. I don't care about price if it means getting an accurate result.

PS, just phoned Optigen and since I had tested my one girl for PRA and swabs were still there, they will do the test for $90 (vs $120). That's not bad. Just sharing for the others who may be thinking about it.

Animal Genetics has the most economical HNPK test - $55. They also offer other tests at a decent price (coat color, eic, cnm, dm). I still ordered coat color, cnm and dm test from DDC, but the HNPK from Animal Genetics to save a few dollars.

OFA will only accept EIC tests from UofMN for publishing in their database due to patent. So, if you want your EIC test on OFA website then you need to get that from UofMN. (This OFA info was as of a month ago when I spoke to OFA).

http://www.animalgenetics.com/Canine/Cost_Dollar.asp

I know all about the EIC Michelle. I only use U of MN on that, and like to stick w/ the places that developed the tests (esp since they tested several of mine initially as part of the research base for free-- I really want to support that!). Was just wondering about the other tests, and w/ the legal status and all. I decided I'd run w/ Optigen (licensed for the HNPK) for a few bucks more, plus they already have the DNA there.

Btw, Alfort appears to be the only CNM testing lab accepted by OFA also. At least that's what I'm getting when I look on OFA.

I use VetGen. They had the test before Optigen and i just stuck with them.

I have had good experience with PawPrint genetics. All tests cost the same (and that includes PRA). If you order multiple tests, there are good discounts. Take a look at their list of tests & check out the rest of their website too.

https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/products/breeds/76/

Silly question but which PRA test is the right one? There are 2 listed on Pawprints website.

I think vetgen no longer offers it.

prcd-PRA,