Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spinning down blood for serum

Question on spinning down blood for serum. I bought a centrifuge on EBay - but honestly did not fully understand what I was buying. So I ended up with a micro-centrifuge. I did figure out how to rig it so I can spin down the blood and did two successful Relaxin tests. But I want to send serum to DCPAH for some progesterone testing. The micro spins very fast - faster than I have researched on blood separation. My question is does that damage the serum? I don't care about the red cells, just the serum.

I've googled but haven't found anything really definitive. I know we have some scientists and vets on here and would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Re: Spinning down blood for serum

Ask your vet. I know I could ask my vet as she is very helpful.

For human medical testing blood is spun at 4000-7000 RPM to get serum/plasma for testing. The faster the speed the shorter the time (4-10 min.) Do not spin glass tubes at 7000 as they will break-plastic tubes are ok.

Thank you Judy. Very helpful.
I did check with my vet and she didn't see an issue with the higher speed however she did not mention the plastic vs. glass tubes for the higher speeds. Good info.