Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poor Qaulity semen

This is really just a rant as I am not sure what I or anyone can do. I imported semen from from the USA, 3 other breeders I know of also imported semen from the same breeder, I am told some went to Europe as well, a couple of different dogs ( same breeder). this breeder asked for and received the stud fee before sending which I have absolutely no issue with and in fact I ask the same, stud fee before semen sent. By my addition this breeder has received in excess of $14,000 US dollars in stud fee's and not one viable pup produced. The semen was extremely poor quality which the breeder would have known about before it was sent, and in fact myself and one other breeder I have spoken too repeatedly asked for but never received a semen report. ( more fool us I guess). I used my one mating I brought in, and the vet was very disappointed in the quality and quantity of the semen sent, so much so we used the crappy semen but did a dual mating. The bitch is well in pup but I will take bets that there will not be any from the dog from the US. I know when I send semen internationally and if they only ask for and pay for one mating I ALWAYS send 2, an heir and a spare so to speak, I don't expect payment for the second mating. Have some breeders got so precious that they think we should be kissing their butts to use their dogs, to be honest I look around and think I have better in my own kennels BUT at some point you need to go out before you come back to your lines again, back to the drawing board for me, but it is an extremely expensive exercise to go through only to find the semen is very bad. Like I said this is a rant just needed to vent I guess. I will let you know if this girl produces any US pups.

Re: Poor Qaulity semen

In the USA stud fees usually run between $1200 and $1500 USD. That would be for 2 shipments a day or two apart. The bitch owner pays shipping fees and also the cost of extenders & shipping containers. And when it happens that the semen does not arrive in good condition, adjustments are made.

I am having a hard time figuring out why 4 single shipments cost a whopping $14000. It does not make a whole lot of sense.

That was for 10 matings spread between 4 different breeders. As far as I am aware there are even more matings with one of these breeders as yet unused. So the exact amount nade from stud fees could be more. The stud feewas $1400 us plus another $1300 us to ship it.

OK If I was doing such a breeding, I would expect 2 collections, a day apart, shipped in a single shipment. 10 matings for $14,000 would come to $1400 per mating. That is the current USA rate. As for shipping costs, not much anyone can do about that.

That said, if you knew of all those breedings without a single pup, why on earth would you chose to do that? I know I would not.

breeder
OK If I was doing such a breeding, I would expect 2 collections, a day apart, shipped in a single shipment. 10 matings for $14,000 would come to $1400 per mating. That is the current USA rate. As for shipping costs, not much anyone can do about that.

That said, if you knew of all those breedings without a single pup, why on earth would you chose to do that? I know I would not.

All the semen was shipped around the same time, and has has been in storage for between a year and 15 months depending on when the breeders used it. No one knew ( expect the person selling it) that the semen was such poor quality until their vets thawed it out, this is frozen we are talking about not fresh chilled, so totally different in terms of sending two shipments days apart, and even if that was the case, the quality wasn't going to change no matter how many shipments were made, one breeder received supposedly 5 breeding's, but they made them 3 breeding's such was the quality ( or lack there of), this breeder is the only one I know of who actually got one live pup which had to be put down at 3 weeks old. As a breeder I would be mortified if I had sent 10 breeding's to various breeders and only one live pup to show for it which only lived 3 weeks, but then My vet would have told me if the quality was good enough to send and a semen quality report is given.

The two freezing centers I use always give a total count and a post-thaw viability because that's what determines a breeding unit. For export/import purposes, the semen analysis and number of straws shipped with collection date is required. If you didn't receive this, it's the semen storage facility, not the breeder, that should have provided it (although the breeder would also have a copy of this available). Sorry to hear of your experiences. I don't think this is the 'norm' for US based freezing facilities.

Frozen
The two freezing centers I use always give a total count and a post-thaw viability because that's what determines a breeding unit. For export/import purposes, the semen analysis and number of straws shipped with collection date is required. If you didn't receive this, it's the semen storage facility, not the breeder, that should have provided it (although the breeder would also have a copy of this available). Sorry to hear of your experiences. I don't think this is the 'norm' for US based freezing facilities.

A couple of the breeders myself included repeatedly asked for a semen report but never received one. My girl Whelped last night and as expected no "American" babies. Who requires the semen analysis to export, certainly we don't need one to register any puppies from frozen semen it is for our own interest that we ask for one.

Sorry about your disappointment. I have purchased frozen semen and ask for written reports about the quality. You need about 150 million live sperm for a breeding. The collecting repro vet freezes all the straws and later thaws one straw to get a count of how many sperm are still alive. For example, if the vet put 100 million sperm per straw and 80% were alive after thawing, that would come to 80 million live sperm per straw. In that case you would have a total of 160 million sperm in 2 straws, which would be what you need for a single breeding. That number would also be adjusted for the percentage of sperm that are not good (bent tails etc).

You can adjust the counts to figure out how many straws you need for a breeding. I wanted to use a particular stud dog. When at last I got the report the repro vet wrote, it was clear I'd need a lot more straws than the stud dog owner was offering for a single breeding. I decided to pass.

Caveat emptor.

breeder
Sorry about your disappointment. I have purchased frozen semen and ask for written reports about the quality. You need about 150 million live sperm for a breeding. The collecting repro vet freezes all the straws and later thaws one straw to get a count of how many sperm are still alive. For example, if the vet put 100 million sperm per straw and 80% were alive after thawing, that would come to 80 million live sperm per straw. In that case you would have a total of 160 million sperm in 2 straws, which would be what you need for a single breeding. That number would also be adjusted for the percentage of sperm that are not good (bent tails etc).

You can adjust the counts to figure out how many straws you need for a breeding. I wanted to use a particular stud dog. When at last I got the report the repro vet wrote, it was clear I'd need a lot more straws than the stud dog owner was offering for a single breeding. I decided to pass.

Caveat emptor.

Yes, I send semen internationally and so know what to look for and in fact my vet would not be happy for me to send poor quality semen as it has his vet clinic's name attached. Just really disappointed that some breeders are happy to rip other off, yes I agree with Caveat emptor I guess it is in the end all about the money for this breeder which I find incredibly sad that it is more about money than the breed itself .Onwards and upwards, today is another day the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day, thanks for all the replies.

Gosh ... It really does come down to stud dog management and selecting the competent folks to do business with in the end. A breeder with good stud dog management would have sent the required number of straws for each breeding based upon post-thaw analysis after a collection/freeze at their repro vet. Typically, a copy of the collection report and post-thaw results are provided to the breeder, however when those straws/pellets are sent out the stud owner may not know which sample collection is being sent as the storage facility may control that determination. In that case, the storage facility should provide the report provided privacy policies provide the ability to do so.

If a stud owner is going to offer stud services, it is the stud owners responsibility to ensure they are up to speed on collection of males, extending & centrifuging semen, packaging, and shipping the collection out. They should also have semen evals done on their boys from time to time to ensure the dog is healthy and semen is of good quality too. If a stud owner can't do this work well enough to provide good collections from their own handy work (LOL) and are packaged correctly, then they should be using a vet to do their collections or they shouldn't be offering stud services.

really disapointed
Frozen

A couple of the breeders myself included repeatedly asked for a semen report but never received one. My girl Whelped last night and as expected no "American" babies. Who requires the semen analysis to export, certainly we don't need one to register any puppies from frozen semen it is for our own interest that we ask for one.

How do you know none of the babies are "American" ?
I know how you feel about the bad semen

If they had been by the American dog they would have been Chocolate ( chocolate mated to a chocolate neither carry yellow) The litter is all black.