Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Help !!! - Stud Dog Problem

We are having a problem with one of our Stud Dogs and I would love guidance from anyone that has had the same problem, or that can offer suggestions, or guidance.

In early 2014 our boy, whom has sired quite a few litters already, had a decrease in Sperm Count which through testing we determined he had an inflamed prostate and after several antiobiotics, semen evalutions, and time his sperm came back to a low-normal level. No other symptoms last Spring except that we attempted to breed him and upon evaluation of the sperm noticed the notable sperm count. Once we had him cleared up I made plans to have him frozen with fear that he may be going sterile then life and health issues got in the way and I was unable to freeze him.

Last weekend he presented with blood dripping from his penis and upon ER Visit to my Vet it was determined (after collecting him) that the entire shaft of his Penis was swollen, beat red, and bleeding from the lower portion of his penis (approx 1inch up). Upon Examination he has a swollen prostate (more then normal for an intact male) So We did a UA ( which came back clear), did a culture on the blood - which came back minimal with bacteria so he is on Deramaxx for Pain and Clavamox for Infection. CBC was normal with just a slight elevated white count. He is on a 10 day course of Clavamox. We actually checked his semen count under the scope as well and it look pretty good.

Last evening he is still presenting with blood.. and it is not consistent however just drops of blood (as an example close to the amount of blood you see when a Bitch is starting her season)

My hopes are to get rid of the infection (or whatever is going on) and get him Frozen and then have him neutered if this pattern continues but I am truly not sure if we know what is going on.

Anyone had this before? Suggestions? Guidance?

Re: Looking for Help !!! - Stud Dog Problem

Haven't had this happen but would suggest that you contact Dr Hutchison for a consult if you haven't already: http://www.northviewvet.com/

I did have a similar problem with my Manny several years ago. Same cause. We had him on antibiotics which cleared it up but it did reoccur. Each time the antibiotics cleared it up after 10 days and he was fine. If it had not responded to the meds I would have neutered him. I can tell you what triggered it was when our girls came in season. I had him frozen when he was a young dog so didn't have to worry about that. I have learned the hard way to get a dog frozen when they are young and have good semen quality. Waited too long with a favorite dog of ours many years ago and he had proximal droplets and was sterile. That was a heartbreaker. Best of luck to you and your boy.

Had this with Seamus. Sometimes he semen was just filled with blood. Put him on antibiotics and also a healthy prostate combo from Costco. His prostate shrunk back to normal and his semen was normal again for about 18 months.

Then one day we were back to bloody semen. I knew then it was time and so I neutered him. I was more concerned with his health than his being able to sire puppies at that point. I had his prostate checked about every 6 months, but the neutering cured him of the problem, as it's supposed to.

Why some males get enlarged prostates and some don't, I'm not sure the vets know.

You need to ask your vet to switch from Clavamox to Baytril. It's very difficult for antibiotics to penetrate into the prostrate. A 10 day course of antibiotic will likely do nothing. It takes 10-14 days for the antibiotic to build up in the system enough to cross into the prostate then another 10-14 days to actually treat an infection. Baytril is about the only antibiotic that actually crosses the barrier into the prostate. Baytril for 30 days is typically the recommendation for infection in the prostate.

Years ago I had an intact rescue dog who was bleeding from his penis. The vet put him on antibiotics and said I had to neuter him. I went ahead and did so but it didn't solve the problem. The vet then told me he'd have to be on a low dose of antibiotics for the rest of his life. He was about a year old at the time. I thought this was a crazy idea so I tried a remedy from a book by Juliette De Bairacli Levy‎. It recommended that I give him parsley tea and barley water daily. I didn't think a dog would drink either one - but he did - until he didn't need it anymore. For the tea I put parsley in a tea ball and put that in boiled water. I gave it to him after it cooled. The barley water is made by bringing water to a boil, adding barley flakes and letting it sit overnight. Then you squish the barley into the liquid and remove the remaining barley. I added a tiny bit of milk and honey and he loved it. Had I tried this first I don't believe I would have had to neuter him. Years later a friend with an English Setter used this successfully without having to neuter her dog. I'm sorry I can't recall the ratio of water to barley. I can't find the book either. If I can find my copy I will share more specific information. I was shocked but it worked like a charm.

Have you checked for bladder stones?

I had the same issue with one of my boys about ten years ago. We went through the same thing treating with antibiotics repeatedly. The vet would test and find bacteria and treat. They also advised that he be neutered, but I held off. Sometimes his semem would seem to be all blood. I read everything I could find and I did speak to Dr. Hutchinson about it at one of his seminars. While he could not diagnose my dog obviously without examining him, he did make me feel like things may not be as bleak as I thought. The issue went on for a couple of years, but it did seem to be subsiding (less blood in the semen over time), so I quit stressing over it and took a wait and see approach. The issue started when the dog was about three and completely subsided by the time he was about five. I am very happy to say that he had no fertility issues and was still producing nice litters until he was nearly twelve years old. He is now a very happy thirteen year old retiree.

I hope things work out for you and your boy. If you can get a consult with Dr. Hutchinson, I would highly recommend it.