Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA hip test

My Vet just told me Idexx lab has a DNA hip test available for $250.00. You can test as early as 8 weeks old for the gene that carries hip dysplasia.

Re: DNA hip test

That would be interesting. I don't see any information about it on their site. Can you ask you vet for more information?

UK IDEXX. Re: DNA hip test

It appears to be a UK test of probability to develop HD, not a genetic diagnostic test, from the one article I could find. Baby and bathwater?

Here is a link. http://www.idexx.co.uk/pdf/en_gb/smallanimal/reference-laboratories/SAH_PCR_Hip_Dysplasia_in_Labrador_Retrievers.pdf

The test looks at seven areas of DNA that correlate with HD in Labradors. Because HD is polygenic, there is also influence from the environment, which is why results give a *probability* of developing HD. This could be a useful tool in a breeding program, though I would still want to follow up with Xrays. I hope they come up with something similar for elbows, since that is perhaps even more problematic in the breed.

Interesting information...know of anyone or possibly breed that actively use the test?