Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tick control - NexGard?

This is the statement for Nexgard:

"NexGard is for use in dogs only. The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, dry/flaky skin, diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite. The safe use of NexGard in pregnant, breeding or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures."

Not that comforting of a a statement to me. So far, Frontline / Fiprogard have worked very well for me but we only need to treat for a couple of months here. Anne

It made sense what the vet said about some tick diseases infecting the dogs before frontline would kill them, but what I'm hearing about the alternatives seem worrisome. I think i'll stick to Frontline for now…….thanks….

It was funny here this week as I had treated all my "big dogs" w/ Fiprogard (the generic version of Frontline) ~2 wks ago after finding the first ticks. Mind you, Lyme etc is not an issue in my area thankfully. I had not treated my 1 yo or the 2- 11 wk old pups yet as I was going to split a big dog dose amongst them. Went swimming at a small lake out in the boonies on Tues while I was on my work rounds w/ the youngsters, and I pulled a tick out of my hair after my next stop (yuck), so I go them treated that night. Started one of the pups on his lunch tracking session when I saw a tick stagger on his shoulders and fall off. It was still normal sized, so sure didn't get much before he met his match!