Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice on feeding a very sick dog.

My foundation bitch was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer (myeloma). As you can imagine it's so hard watching her decline. Now she is hardly eating. If you have any suggestions as to what I can feed her it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-

Re: Need advice on feeding a very sick dog.

Try giving her mirtazapine (Remeron), which is an antidepressant with other side-effects--stimulates appetite, decreases anxiety, and prevents vomiting. It is a prescription medication but fairly inexpensive because it is generic.

Hope this helps your girl. Is she taking chemotherapy? I know of a bitch with myeloma who lived two years after diagnosis as a result of chemotherapy.

Thank you Kate.
How was the bitch's quality of life? Was she on chemo very long, and how were the side effects? As you know, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Right now she doesn't appear to be in any pain.

The bitch belonged to a friend of mine in Chicago, but she reported that the bitch did extremely well until a few days before she died. I could find out what the chemo was, but she tolerated it quite well, and my friend was surprised.