Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frozen litters

Was wondering about what method used and how many pups did you get. TCI or surgical insertion? We are talking a out surgical followed by TCI. Thanks in advance.

Re: Frozen litters

Don't know why you would do both. The surgical should do the job if the bitch is going to get pregnant.

If you pinpoint ovulation, surgical insemination is the best route to go with frozen. I have had several successful litters this route--average of six pups per litter.

MWK

The 2 times we missed were with surgical implants, and yes the bloods were spot on, I think more to the point would be make sure you do as many blood progesterone tests as needed, don't try to save money by not doing as many as you should, make sure the semen quality is good. The two surgical implant misses we have had were both because of poor quality semen. I find no difference in TCI or surgical implant as far as conception rate , the semen is deposited in the same place, the surgical I guess you could say is harder on the bitch as any general anaesthetic can be. my last TCI was 6 pups and my last surgical was six pups, I have just done another TCI last week so hopefully we will get some "frozen puppies" from the UK in September. Fingers crossed.

Will do as many progesterones as needed.Been wanting pups out of this boy for 8 years have not had the right girl till now. This is an expensive undertaking new that at the start. When frozen years ago said he thawed well. Hope that is the case all these years later. Dr Metzler is supposed to be the best. Thanks for all your input. Appreciate all the knowledge from this site. Thank you Jill for all your hard work and keeping this site available!!!!!

Had 3 girls via csection. 1 yellow 2 chocolate.

The reproductive vet I use states that she is having larger litters and a higher number of pregnancies using TCI. Something about being able to slowly expand the horn and keep it expanded for a longer period using TCI. I believe TCI is the method used in most foreign countries with frozen.

I just had a litter of 9 using frozen semen and TCI.

I just missed my girl using TCI, but before this miss, I had five successful TCI breeding's in a row, with average of 8 pups per litter. I highly recommend TCI.

Done both
The 2 times we missed were with surgical implants, and yes the bloods were spot on, I think more to the point would be make sure you do as many blood progesterone tests as needed, don't try to save money by not doing as many as you should, make sure the semen quality is good. The two surgical implant misses we have had were both because of poor quality semen. I find no difference in TCI or surgical implant as far as conception rate , the semen is deposited in the same place, the surgical I guess you could say is harder on the bitch as any general anaesthetic can be. my last TCI was 6 pups and my last surgical was six pups, I have just done another TCI last week so hopefully we will get some "frozen puppies" from the UK in September. Fingers crossed.

We got a nice litter of nine

Good advice. I would add that a surgical means the uterus can be examined and if there are cysts present they can be dealt with at the same time. It increases your success rate and reduces the risk of a pyo.

Two and a half years ago, Hutch did a frozen surgical on a Borzoi, that went back to my lines and it produced 9 pups. He said it was the oldest frozen semen he had ever used.