Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1 week old crying

A one week old puppy out of a litter of 2 started lots of crying last night. His belly is firm, he nurses OK (lets go and restarts quite a bit), he's pooping with mom's help and peeing. She has plenty of milk. The puppy's main issue is he cruses the whelping box just crying and crying loudly. I thought they were hot (85 F here today) so I put a fan on them. It seemed to help for awhile but now he's crying again. I gave him some Mylicon as his belly is firm so I thought it was gas. That helped for 1/2 hour but now he's squeaking and circling the whelping box again - just moving and moving a lot for a 1 week old. Momma licks him quite a bit, but that only quiets him while licking lasts.

What is the deal with this boy? He reminds me of my grown ADHD son who as a baby cried all the time but was happy once he learned to walk/run and never really stopped!

Should I be worried?! Any suggestions?

Re: 1 week old crying

Try putting the puppy on a towel soaked in cold water from the tap. If that makes it stop, you know the problem is heat and can address that.

I use ice packs covered with a towel. At 1 week, they will crawl on and off as they want. It works great.
My pups don't like the heat.

breeder
Try putting the puppy on a towel soaked in cold water from the tap. If that makes it stop, you know the problem is heat and can address that.

We did this with our now 4 week old litter of two and it worked like a charm. We found that one of the two was more heat sensitive (and vocal about it) than the other.

Hoping it’s something simple like being too hot.

I just had this happen with my last litter. They were about 4-5 days early. The pup was crying, crying and wouldn't stop. I took him to the Vet and he had phenomena and sepsis from the umbilical cord. The Vet gave him a shot and shots for all of the pups for a week and he healed up fine.

Listen to his lungs and see if he has any swelling anywhere.

Thanks everyone. It was the heat. They loved the cold ice pack under a towel. The next day it was only 72 F here and pups were very quiet. I was going to try the cold wet towel as I didn't want Mom to eat the ice pack but it's not so hot for now.