Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding BYC to YC

Would you breed a bitch carrying yellow to a Byc stud dog? Odds of a dudley not that high but would you be ok with that? Why or why not?

Re: Breeding BYC to YC

If I had good reason to think this was the right stud for my bitch in every other way, then why not? Not all the pups are going to be show potential, and most pet owners don’t mind (and some even prefer) yellows with chocolate pigment. I’d be much more concerned about preventing doubling up on hereditary diseases than I would be on color.

Ditto. If this is the most promising boy for your girl, why not. Non-breeder, non-show people will love the puppies no matter what.

No reason not to other than you know the pick will be the dudley!

And in fact, what is being referred to as Dudley is not actually dudley (pink-no pigment). The yellow puppy who got the chocolate gene from both parents does have pigment (nose, eyelids, etc) , it's just not BLACK pigment, it's liver brown. The last poster is right, they're often pick of the litter, because in all other ways, they're a perfectly good speciman of a Labrador. And it's naturally occuring within the breed, unlike silvers. :)

I saw an adult at the beach with the dark liver against the cream and he was so beautiful. They really stand out, it's too bad they can't be shown.