Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canine Influenza H3N2

As rumors about canine flu swirls around the SE, I am wondering what others are doing or planning to do about their dogs, especially regarding vaccinating, showing, boarding, attempts at isolation, and daycare.

Last week as flu was confirmed by testing in NC, I vaccinated all my dogs with the Merck vaccine for H3N8. My vet (also a breeder) decided based on available evidence that there was some reason to believe that the vaccine for the "old"flu might deter (at least to some extent) the "new" flu. I have 5 dogs aged 12-15 and cannot really afford a respiratory infection, especially with the oldest having some degree of LP.

I decided not to show my dogs in Salem VA last weekend after I learned that dogs were coughing the preceding weekend in Greenville SC (which is part of a handler circuit that later includes Salem). Handlers have labeled this coughing as KC, but I know that some dogs had fevers (which is more characteristic of flu).

I have also decided to suspend dock diving splashes because a local July dock diving event also had coughing dogs supposedly having a "vaccine resistant" version of KC. The coughing dogs were vaccinated for KC but not flu.

So what are others doing?

Summary of cases in NC per NC Department of Agriculture

Summary of cases to date: As of August 3, 2015 there have been a total of 10 laboratory-confirmed cases of Canine Influenza Type H3N2 reported to the Animal Welfare Section. In two of those cases there appears to have been transmission of the disease from the initially ill animal to other dogs in the same household. There have been approximately 225 reports of dogs with signs consistent with canine influenza. However, they are considered to be “presumptive cases,” because no laboratory testing was conducted in these cases. Three of these dogs tested negative for canine influenza.

The vast majority of these cases have occurred in the Asheville area. There has been one confirmed case in Winston-Salem and one in northern Wake County. The confirmed case in the Triangle area had been boarded in Asheville shortly before showing signs. The confirmed case in Winston-Salem had contact with a recently released shelter animal but there have not been any other reported cases associated with the shelter.

Analysis of reports show the first wave of cases to have be exposed around the first week of July and a second wave occurring about mid-July. As the laboratory tests take 10-12 days to be reported to the veterinary clinic, we do not have any cases related to exposure after July 17th.

To date all of the veterinary clinics report that although some of the dogs have suffered significant secondary complications such as pneumonia, all of the dogs have responded well to treatment. So far all dogs have recovered or are currently improving significantly. The dogs seem to do well once the secondary infections are under control. The only lingering issue is a persistent cough which may last a few weeks.

Re: Summary of cases in NC per NC Department of Agriculture

August 24, 2015
-
With no known active outbreaks, dog owners can cautiously reintroduce their pets to public play areas. Boarding kennels, veterinary hospitals and shelters should continue to practice increased biosecurity to prevent reintroduction of the canine influenza virus. And pet owners should talk to their private veterinarians if they suspect their dog is sick.

We’d like to thank veterinarians, shelter managers and pet owners for responding diligently when the first wave of cases came to light. This helped to isolate and contain the virus in small pockets and prevented a larger outbreak from happening. We ask that veterinarians continue to report suspected and confirmed cases to the Animal Welfare Section so that information can be shared quickly. Canine influenza is likely here to stay, but with cooperation, we can protect our furry friends and prevent a larger outbreak.