Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guarantee?

What can I do when a breeder doesn't hold up her guarantee?

I stumbled upon this site by accident through a search engine. I need some help here, please. I have owned/loved/spoiled 6 labs over 40+yrs. I train them for therapy dogs. My heart broke about 2 yrs. ago when I lost my beloved Mr. O. I was too anxious to wait for my local breeder, so through a search I found a breeder in another state who SEEMED reputable. This is where my dilemma starts.

He's a wonderful dog, lovable with a great temperament, BUT he isn't even up to the minimum standard in height with a very long body and splayed feet. Sure, those things are just cosmetic as he won't be shown anyway, but entropion resulted in tacking, which didn't take, and subsequent full-on surgery. We paid a LOT for him. Shouldn't she at least have split the cost of surgery with us? She never even responded when I told her!

This is a person who shows, is a judge (so I was told). How do I address this or is this just a case of, ‘OH WELL’, you get what you get!? I know all of the show breeders are not this way. Short of a lawsuit, what can I do to recoup these losses? Don’t get me wrong, I love my boy and would never part with him, but my previous Labs never had these issues and I know the breeders would have made good on this.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you kindly for any assistance you can offer.

Re: Guarantee?

Do you have a written guarantee? If so, does it cover entropian specifically or at least mention guaranteeing against any/all genetic issues?

Are they members of a club? Does that club have a Code of Ethics?

Your only other choice is to take them to court, but if you don't have anything in writing you are basically SOL.

I agree with Laura. Depends on what state you live in. You could take the Breeder to small claims court. Some people run scared if they see a court order and settle out of court. Good Luck!

This guarantee issue really bothers me. Do you have children? Did anyone guarantee that they would be perfect? That they would get into the colleges of their choices? That they would never need glasses, etc etc etc. That they would be beautiful (and not just to you). That they would be smart and good athletically? Most breeders do the very best they can. They get clearances for their dogs. They put endless hours into researching pedigrees and raising their puppies.

It is up to the puppy buyer to do her homework to see the breeder is good. If you have such an awful dog, maybe you did not do your homework.

Of course I "did my homework". I suggest you re-read my post...

I am in a different state from this breeder who supposedly has such a good reputation. When my boy was shipped to me at 4 mos, entropion was very obvious. The breeder played this down, saying he'd likely outgrow it. It was severe enough that tacking didn't work and subsequently he had the full-on surgery. In neither instance did she offer the first cent, but she was full of advice and suddenly quite knowledgeable, even citing her previous experiences with entropion!

Now what's that sound like to you? Certainly nothing like the breeders I've dealt with in the past.

"BUT he isn't even up to the minimum standard in height with a very long body and splayed feet" Plus he had entropion the day he arrived.

I can tell you this, he would have gone back on the next flight out if he had been shipped to me.

These things were not apparent at that age & the so-called breeder assured me that other than a minor shoulder set, his conformation was excellent.
If you're truly a reputable breeder, you'd agree that this woman should have her credentials pulled.

I am and I don't.

So I can understand being upset about the entropian and that should have been addressed prior to surgery with the breeder IF the contract specifically stated it. But as far as under standard, long in the body and splayed feet.....how is THAT the breeders fault? Splayed feet can be from poor conditioning, poor nutrition, etc. Long in the body...how the heck can Any breeder know at the puppy stage if they're going to stay proportioned. I was given a lovely short backed boy who at 4 years old is longer in the body than some. I also have another dog that I bred and kept, fed the same as his sister as she lived with me as well, he didn't make standard, she did. It's called Genetics and also rolling the dice. I agree with the poster who compares it to children... I'm sure my son would love to not have inherited his curly hair and my daughter, should I be upset she needs glasses?!! There are people who pay THOUSANDS of dollars for children that end up having issues...should they be allowed to get money back from the birth parents, or the adoption agency?? IF your contract stated she would take care, refund, help, or what not with a GENETIC issue, ie, the eye issue, then Yes, it should have been discussed PRIOR to it being taken care of. My contract states there needs to be a second opinion. As far as the fact he didn't grow exactly how you think he should have...that's just the way it is, whinning doesn't change it, nor does badmouthing the breeder. You made the choice to buy from the breeder, not seeing him in person prior to shipping...At some point you have to take on some of the responsibility for the situation that you're in.