Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Older dog has jerking movements

I have a twelve year old dog that is exhibiting similar behaviour. It usually happens in response to sound though. Haven't been able to find any solution either. It almost seems like he short circuits. It only lasts a second. Doesn't seem to cause him any lasting pain though

Sounds like it could be petit-mal seizures. My old guy did something very much like you describe, but also had the occasional grand mal seizure starting right before he turned 14. The “mini” seizures were much more frequent and seemed to happen more in bright lighting.

We presumed a very slow-growing brain tumor, but never did any imaging to confirm. He made it until a month shy of 16 before having a cluster of seizures that left him pretty much paralyzed at which point we let him go.

hi 'Wants to Know'. my dog is just experiencing the exact thing you have described. So far all bloodwork normal. she's 13. did u ever find out what the cause was of these little "shocks"/ jerks? I am still trying to find an answer . thank you for this post, at least i know someone else has had this before.

Hi, my 14 goldie has been doing this for a year also
Nothing showing up on bloods, etc but can't afford
scans, mri's etc.
Seems to be bad in bright sunlight and I did switch
from frontline flea treatment to a milder one but still happening.
I think it's harder for me to watch than for him!
If anyone has tips or theories would live to hear them.

Hi Kathryn, my Holistic vet looked at my video and thinks its focal seizures- a kind of "mini" seizure where they space out or have twitches or jerking movements. I am not going to have an MRI either due to my girl being 13yrs old. I am going to try holistic, nutracutical support at this point and hope it doesnt persist.

Hope she gets some relief, it's sad to watch,
my boy seems so young in other ways still enjoying
walks and loping after balls etc. reminds me he's
getting old when it happens. Let me know if
anything you use seems to ease the jerks and I'll
look around here in Aus. Have tried a chiropractor
and acupuncture with little noticeable effect 🙁

it is really upsetting, I agree! but my vet said she's not in pain and they don't seem to bother her, but they do bother me :( and my girl is just like your guy, she's very spunky too! I'll post when I see how things are going w/ the addition of the antioxidants and dietary changes.